This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7048 / 50°42'17"N
Longitude: -3.5581 / 3°33'29"W
OS Eastings: 290069
OS Northings: 90625
OS Grid: SX900906
Mapcode National: GBR P0.54KD
Mapcode Global: FRA 37F6.X6Y
Entry Name: 16, Fore Street
Listing Date: 12 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317190
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85486
Location: Ide, Teignbridge, Devon, EX2
Civil Parish: Ide
Built-Up Area: Ide
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ide St Ida
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
IDE FORE STREET, Ide
SX 99 SW
2/69 No. 16
House. C17 origins, front elevation remodelled as a shop front in circa 1855 and
remodelled again in 1955. Colourwashed rendered cob on stone rubble footings;
thatched roof, half-hipped at end of rear wing, room above passageway to left of main
range with slate roof; chimney with brick shaft at left end of main range, right end
chimney to rear of ridge.
The plan of the house is unusual. There is 1 large heated room at the front and rear
service rooms under a separate roof at right angles to the roof over the main room.
There are no thick internal walls. The rear right service room is heated, sharing a
stack with the adjoining property (Exeter House). The principal room at the front is
clearly C17, heated from the left end stack, a rounded wall adjacent to the stack
probably indicates the position of a former newel stair, the present stair leads from
the services at the rear to the first floor. It is possible that the present
building is the left hand end of a large U plan house with rear left and right
service wings, and was formerly 1 property with Exeter House and Exeter Cottage, the
rear courtyard having been filled in subsequently. This would explain the unusual
arrangement of the roof. The roof trusses are probably mid/late C18 replacements.
The room over the passageway to the left of the house is a later, probably C19
addition. In circa 1855 the front of the house was remodelled as a shop (document in
owner's possession) with a central doorway flanked by bay windows. In 1955 this
arrangement was replaced by a large 5-light window and a new entrance was made on the
left return giving direct access to the principal ground floor room.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2 window front with an additional room above the passageway
to the left. Large 5 light ground floor window of 1955 with small panes; first floor
window left is a tripartite sash of the C19, 4 panes in the outer lights, 12 in the
centre; first floor window right a 4-pane sash.
Interior: The principal ground floor room has a large axial beam, exposed joists and
an open fireplace with brecchia ashlar jambs and a chamfered lintel with scroll
stops. The interior has little C20 modernization and includes some old gas fittings.
Pegged collar rafter roof trusses of the circa mid/late C18 have been given extra
support from C20 timbers. The roofspace has a circa late C17 timber mullioned
unglazed window, formerly external but now in the dividing wall between the roofspace
and the room over the passageway.
No. 16 is in the centre of Fore Street and forms a group with Drake's Farm (qv)
opposite and nos. 26 and 28.
Listing NGR: SX9006990625
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings