This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7855 / 51°47'7"N
Longitude: 0.2098 / 0°12'35"E
OS Eastings: 552519
OS Northings: 211960
OS Grid: TL525119
Mapcode National: GBR MFY.5T9
Mapcode Global: VHHM8.LD82
Plus Code: 9F32Q6P5+6W
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166182
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118146
Location: Matching, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Matching
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Matching
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
Tagged with: Church building
TL 51 SW MATCHING CHURCH GREEN
3/57 Parish Church of
22.2.67 St. Mary
Parish church, early C13. S aisle widened later C14. W tower added C15.
Chancel, N organ chamber, S transept, S porch, N aisle and easternmost bay of
nave and aisles added or rebuilt 1875. Flint rubble with stone dressings, tower
cement-rendered, S porch timber framed, roofs of handmade red clay tiles. The
nave has N and S arcades each of 4 bays; the easternmost is C19, the remainder
have 2-centred arches of the C13, of 2 chamfered orders springing from round
columns with moulded abaci, capitals and bases; the W responds are attached
half-columns, that on the W side partly restored. The S aisle has in the E wall
a C19 archway to the S transept. In the S wall are 3 windows: the easternmost
is C19; the second is late C14, partly restored, of 3 cinquefoiled lights with
tracery under a square head with C19 label; the westernmost is C19 except the
splays and chamfered rear-arch, C14; between the westernmost and middle windows
is the S doorway, later C14, partly restored; it has continuous moulded jambs
and 2-centred arch with a moulded label. There is a piscina with trefoiled head
and quatrefoil drain, late C14. There are 3 C14 grotesque corbels and 2 C19
head corbels. The roofs are all C19. The C15 W tower is of 3 diminishing
stages with a chamfered plinth and C19 parapet. The tower-arch is 2-centred and
of 2 orders, the outer moulded and continuous, the inner chamfered and springing
from semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and plain-chamfered bases.
The W window is C19 except the splays and chamfered.2-centred rear-arch.
Across the NW angle is the doorway, with moulded jambs and 2-centred head, to
the stair turret. The second stage has in the S and W walls a narrow pointed
loop with moulded label, partly restored. The bell-chamber has in each wall a
restored window of 2 trefoiled lights under a 2-centred head with moulded label.
The S porch is mainly C19, but retains one cranked tiebeam with deep arched
braces over the door, C15. The font has an octagonal bowl with moulded under-
edge and base, on each face a quatrefoil panel containing flowers, shields, etc;
stem panelled with trefoiled and cinquefoiled heads to the panels. The pulpit is
octagonal with panelled sides, each side with 3 panels, the upper panels
enriched with arabesque strap-ornaments and central boss, C17, partly restored.
There are 6 bells, the fourth dated 1615, the sixth 1640, both by Robert
Oldfield. In the N aisle there is a brass on the N wall to John Ballett, 1638,
with figures of man and wife in civil dress and kneeling figures of 2 sons and 6
daughters with achievement of arms; and on the W wall a white marble tablet to
William Dearling, 1790.
Listing NGR: TL5251911960
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings