This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3977 / 52°23'51"N
Longitude: 0.2628 / 0°15'46"E
OS Eastings: 554055
OS Northings: 280149
OS Grid: TL540801
Mapcode National: GBR M6H.M96
Mapcode Global: VHHJ6.HZTT
Entry Name: Prior's House (Boarding House of the Kings School)
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 19 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48700
Location: Ely, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Ely
Built-Up Area: Ely
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Ely
Church of England Diocese: Ely
(Boarding House of
the Kings School)
(formerly listed as Bishop's House
TL 5479 2/9 (Priors House)
The Prior's House, now a boarding house of the King's School was largely
rebuilt in the early C14 by Prior Crauden (1321-41), above the C12 vaulted
undercroft with groined vaults and transverse arches in the northern part
and C14 vaults to the south part, The hall was originally connected
to the Prior's Study (now demolished) and his private chapel by a gallery.
A wing at the north east end was originaly the porch to the Prior's Great
Hall (Old Hall) which stood to the north of it. The upper storey contained
the Audit Chamber. In the C15 a staircase wing was erected at the south east
end and in the c17 a building was added adjoining the south east corner
of the hall and extending eastwards. The hall is built mainly of Carr
stone rublle with Barnack stone dressings and a considerable amount of C14
brickwork. It has a parapet and string course and is buttresses. On the
ground storey there are C14 pointed arched windows with "Decorated" tracery
and on the 1st storey there are early C16 square windows with 3 and 4 arched
lights. Roof tiled, with arched braces to the principals and arched windbraces.
the interior has Norman and mediaeval features including a particularly
fine early C14 fireplace on the north west side of the Hall (once in Prior
Crauden's study), with a sloping overmantel, castellated frieze and corner
turrets, carried on carved corbels with heads.
The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House
Wall to the garden of the bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery,
Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House
(Boarding House of the king's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the
garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery
and Wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls
to the Bishop's Palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's
Palace), The Gallery.
See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.
Listing NGR: TL5405580149
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings