This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.955 / 50°57'17"N
Longitude: -4.0986 / 4°5'55"W
OS Eastings: 252696
OS Northings: 119380
OS Grid: SS526193
Mapcode National: GBR KP.N1J4
Mapcode Global: FRA 269L.91C
Entry Name: The Orangery
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Last Amended: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168092
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91868
Location: St. Giles in the Wood, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: St. Giles in the Wood
Civil Parish/community: St Giles in the Wood
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: St Giles in the Wood St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST GILES STEVENSTONE PARK
SS 52 19 IN THE WOOD
17/219 The Orangery
4.10.60 (formerly listed as Second
pavilion or green house at
Former Orangery. Orangery is circa 1720, railings are circa 1872-3, carefully
renovated circa 1980 by the Landmark Trust. The front is Flemish bond red brick, the
rest is local stone rubble; stone rubble stack with moulded limestone coping; slate
roof, formerly glass.
Plan: Single cell rectangular plan building facing south-south-west, say south.
Orangery is a tall single storey, 1-room plan building. The glass roof was replaced
with slate circa 1980.
Exterior: A very attractive 5-window front of very tall round-headed sash windows
with thick glazing bars, all with rubbed brick flat-headed arches with limestone
keystones. The centre one lower sash has a panelled base down to ground level and is
in fact a doorway. The 2 windows each side have bull-nosed limestone sills. Timber
eaves cornice includes a plain modillion frieze.
The right (east) end includes a full height window blocked with C20 brick. Roof is
hipped both ends.
Interior is plastered including a plaster ceiling.
There was formerly a glass roof supported on late C19 cast iron trusses. This was
replaced circa 1980 and the late C19 roof structure is erected in the garden on brick
pilers, approximately 20 metres west of the Orangery.
Adjoining to right rear and extending eastwards stone rubble sleeper walls with
limestone coping and spearheaded railings with large standards with gadrooned finials
and gate in same style.
Although the Rolle mansion, Stevenstone House (q.v.), is now in ruins, the Orangery
forms part of a group of attractive subsidary buildings, several of which are listed.
Futhermore if it was as it seems, an Orangery from the start, then it is a very early
Source: Devon SMR. ed. Christine Haslam. The Landmark Handbook (1988) pp 77-79.
Listing NGR: SS5269619380
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings