History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden Walls Adjoining West of the Orangery and Ha Ha Adjoining West of Stevenstone House Terrace

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Giles in the Wood, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9544 / 50°57'15"N

Longitude: -4.1006 / 4°6'2"W

OS Eastings: 252553

OS Northings: 119319

OS Grid: SS525193

Mapcode National: GBR KP.N10Z

Mapcode Global: FRA 269L.899

Entry Name: Garden Walls Adjoining West of the Orangery and Ha Ha Adjoining West of Stevenstone House Terrace

Listing Date: 16 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91869

Location: St. Giles in the Wood, Torridge, Devon, EX38

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: St. Giles in the Wood

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: St Giles in the Wood St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Great Torrington

Listing Text

ST GILES STEVENSTONE PARK
SS 52 19 IN THE WOOD
17/220 Garden walls adjoining west of
- the Orangery and Ha Ha adjoining
west of Stevenstone House Terrace

GV II

Garden walls and ha ha. Circa 1872. Local stone rubble with sandstone ashlar
coping, brick piers with sandstone ashlar capitals, cast iron railings.
The walls enclose 3 sides of the garden open on the east side towards the ruins of
Stevenstone House (q.v.). The north wall is a tall stone rubble wall alongside the
drive to the West Lodge. Circa 1980 a gateway was inserted. It has square-section
brick piers and contains large plank double doors. At the west end is an original
corner pier. It is brick, square in section with moulded cap and carved pineapple
finial. There is another at the south end corner of the western return wall and 2
similar piers without the finials flank a wide central gateway. Between these piers
the western wall is low, built of snecked stone and ramps down from north to south as
the ground falls away gently. It is surmounted by cast iron twisted rails and spear-
headed finials with similar lower intermediate rails. The southern return is a ha
ha, a stone rubble revetment to the garden terrace and overlooking the former deer
park to south.


Listing NGR: SS5255319319

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.