This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8499 / 50°50'59"N
Longitude: -3.8012 / 3°48'4"W
OS Eastings: 273299
OS Northings: 107147
OS Grid: SS732071
Mapcode National: GBR L2.VQV9
Mapcode Global: FRA 26XV.JY1
Entry Name: Inner Court of Farmbuildings Adjoining to North of Bury Barton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170703
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96508
Location: Lapford, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Lapford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lapford
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 70 NW
- Inner court of farmbuildings
adjoining to north of Bury Barton
3 ranges of farmbuildings enclosing farm courtyard. C16 with C17, C18 and C19
additions and alterations. Earlier parts are plastered cob on rubble footings,
later are plastered rubble; slate roofs (most must originally have been thatched).
3 ranges of farmbuildings around a courtyard. Bury Barton Farmhouse (q.v.) forms
the southern range. The east wing, adjoining the dairy block of the farmhouse, is
an early C19 cider house and cider store now used for general storage. The north
wing has developed over several centuries. The eastern end, now workshop and
disused stables, is C16. It was extended westward in C17 and C18 and rearranged in
C19. The late C17-early C18 courtyard entrance and porch remains at west end (now
projecting into C19 outer court (q.v.) and is now incorporated into circa 1800
linhays. At same time present carriageway built through C17 stables. West wing is
a late C16-early C17 barn which has since been reduced in length both ends and was
given a horse engine house projecting into courtyard circa 1850.
East wing has a ground floor C20 casement with glazing bars at right end and another
more towards centre at first floor level. 2 C19 plank doors at left (north) end;
the left end door to former ciderhouse and other to former cider store. Overall 9-
bay roof of alternate tie beam and king post truss - scissor brace and king post
truss roof. Ciderhouse is part-floored with rear loading hatch to apple store. Cob
crosswall between ciderhouse and store includes the 2 halves of a large circular
trough from a horse-powered apple crusher.
North wing has irregular 4-window front to courtyard. Workshop behind and
projecting east from east wing. To right of carriageway are 2 stables. Right end
stable door flanked by narrow windows and left stable door with single small window
to left and a stone mounting block. First floor loading hatches now converted to
windows. Plain arches either end of carriageway. Harness room to left of
carriageway now converted to garage and rear wall includes remains of C17 oak 4-
light window frame with chamfered mullions. First floor rooms over carriageway and
garage were possibly originally servant accommodation with C17 oak 3-light windows
with chamfered mullions to each room and another to rear over carriageway. West end
was a 6-bay linhay with 3 bays open to inner court and end 3 bays reversed and open
to north. Circa 1800 Alcock's Type T1 linhays. Rear (north) wall includes late
C17-early C18 courtyard entrance with tall projecting cob and rubble porch with
hipped roof. Large outer arch. Inner arch blocked circa 1800 including a pivotted
loading door. Porch has blocked doorways on each side. Most of roofs are original
and show development of this north range. Workshop and stables have a 7-bay roof
which includes 3 complete C16 jointed cruck trusses and a fourth with post removed.
Most are side-pegged but one is face-pegged. All have slip tenons, cambered collars
and slots for threaded purlins. Stables include a late C17 chamfered and straight
cut crossbeam and there is a similar beam in former harness room. 3-bay roof over
carriageway and harness room on C17 A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars
with shaped halvings. C17 oak doorframe reused in passage to stairs. Linhay has
circa 1800 roof of A-frames with pegged and bolted lap-jointed collars.
West range is a 6-bay barn of cob and rubble with full height opposing double
doorways to threshing floor right (north) of centre. To right of doorways is a
semi-octagonal horse engine house with hipped roof projecting into courtyard across
front of north range linhay. It has circa 1850 tie beam and king post roof.
Machinery removed. Barn has second set of opposing full height doorways (now
disused) towards left (south) end. At this end is a C16 side-pegged jointed cruck
truss. Top of this truss is charred and it seems that the C16 barn once caught
fire and formerly extended 1 or 2 bays further south. Rest of roof on C18 A-frame
trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars and X-apexes. Before circa 1800 barn also
extended 1 bay further north. Roof hipped to left. From left (south) end of barn a
high plastered cob wall on rubble footings with pantile coping extends eastwards
sheltering garden from courtyard between house and barn.
Sources: N W Alcock A Devon Farm : Bury Barton, Lapford.
Trans Devon Assoc. XC11 (1960) pp.119-124.
Listing NGR: SS7330107139
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings