This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8503 / 50°51'0"N
Longitude: -3.8019 / 3°48'6"W
OS Eastings: 273250
OS Northings: 107186
OS Grid: SS732071
Mapcode National: GBR L2.VQNP
Mapcode Global: FRA 26XV.JN3
Plus Code: 9C2RV52X+46
Entry Name: Chapel Approximately 40 Metres North-East of Bury Barton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 August 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325618
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96510
Location: Lapford, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
Civil Parish: Lapford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lapford
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 70 NW
- Chapel approximately 40 metres
26.8.65 north-east of Bury Barton
Agricultural store, former chapel. C15, possibly chapel of St James the Apostle
licensed in parish of Lapford in 1434. Mudstone rubble with granite detail;
thatched roof. Gable-ended block. South side includes a round-headed oak doorway
to left and a granite round-headed window with chamfered surround and sunken
spandrels and holes for iron saddlebars each side. In east end the arched head of
blocked granite window with Perpendicular tracery survives but lower part was cut
away by later doorway (now blocked). Another secondary blocked doorway in west end.
Long walls include a series of putlog (scaffolding) holes.
Interior includes some limewashed medieval plaster. Original open wagon roof
survives intact. It is 4 bays with main trusses and wall plate soffit-chamfered.
The western bay includes 4 common rafter trusses, the other 3 include 3 common
rafter trusses. Detached chapels such as this are extremely rare in Devon and this
example is exceptionally well-preserved.
Sources N W Alcock. A Devon Farm : Bury Barton, Lapford.
Trans.Devon.Assoc. XC11 (1960), pp.118-119.
Listing NGR: SS7325207187
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings