History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Swallowfield

A Grade II Listed Building in Landcross, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9929 / 50°59'34"N

Longitude: -4.1949 / 4°11'41"W

OS Eastings: 246060

OS Northings: 123798

OS Grid: SS460237

Mapcode National: GBR KK.KM46

Mapcode Global: FRA 263H.7JT

Entry Name: Swallowfield

Listing Date: 20 February 1958

Last Amended: 19 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171177

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91442

Location: Landcross, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Landcross

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Landcross Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Littleham

Listing Text

LANDCROSS
SS42SE
7/124 Swallowfield
20.2.58 (formerly listed as
Landcross Grange (or
Rectory)
II
House. Early C19 remodelling of older house. Rendered over cob
and stone; hipped thatch roof; brick internal and end stacks.
U-plan with rear wings flanking small service courtyard. 2
storeys; 3-window range to main central range flanked by plain
bays. Main range has flat rendered arches over 2-light casements
with glazing bars. Bay to left, which extends as rear left wing,
has C20 door and veranda made of salvaged timbers brought from
the training ship HMS Revenge. Bay to right has flat roof. Main
entry to rear. Interior: early C19 panelled doors; dog-leg with
landing staircase with stick balusters and turned balusters;
early C19 fireplaces to right. History: a terrier of 1764
described the house in detail as a 3-unit plan with central hall,
little of which has survived; wall thicknesses suggest that the
original house remains in the centre and was extended by the
addition of flanking early C19 wings which extend as rear wings
making a U-plan.
(Devon County Record Office, 2616 A.add/PB1 for glebe terrier).


Listing NGR: SS4606023798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

LANDCROSS
SS42SE
7/124 Swallowfield
20.2.58 (formerly listed as
Landcross Grange (or
Rectory)
II
House. Early C19 remodelling of older house. Rendered over cob
and stone; hipped thatch roof; brick internal and end stacks.
U-plan with rear wings flanking small service courtyard. 2
storeys; 3-window range to main central range flanked by plain
bays. Main range has flat rendered arches over 2-light casements
with glazing bars. Bay to left, which extends as rear left wing,
has C20 door and veranda made of salvaged timbers brought from
the training ship HMS Revenge. Bay to right has flat roof. Main
entry to rear. Interior: early C19 panelled doors; dog-leg with
landing staircase with stick balusters and turned balusters;
early C19 fireplaces to right. History: a terrier of 1764
described the house in detail as a 3-unit plan with central hall,
little of which has survived; wall thicknesses suggest that the
original house remains in the centre and was extended by the
addition of flanking early C19 wings which extend as rear wings
making a U-plan.
(Devon County Record Office, 2616 A.add/PB1 for glebe terrier).


Listing NGR: SS4606023798

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.