This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5117 / 51°30'42"N
Longitude: -0.0992 / 0°5'57"W
OS Eastings: 532000
OS Northings: 180907
OS Grid: TQ320809
Mapcode National: GBR PD.W8
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.78DH
Entry Name: Church of St Benet, Paul's Wharf
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Last Amended: 10 November 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180700
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199790
Location: City of London, London, EC4V
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Queenhithe
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe
Church of England Diocese: London
UPPER THAMES STREET EC4
Church of St Benet,
(Formerly listed under
Queen Victoria Street)
TQ 3180 NE 14/403
TQ 3280 NW 15/403 4.1.50.
1677 to 85, by Wren. Square compartment of 3 bays with north aisle and short west
aisle to south of west tower. Exterior of red brick with modest dressings of painted
stone and richly carved festoons above windows. Modillion eaves-cornice of timber.
Hipped, tiled roof, in 3 sections to north aisle. Blind panel to centre of east
front. Pedimented doorcase at south end of west aisle. Simple tower in 3 main
stages with quoins, circular and round-arched windows and stone frames, simply
mullioned belfry openings. Timber cornice capped by lead-covered cupola with lantern
and weathervane. Flat ceiled interior has order of Corinthian pilasters and colonnades
screening aisles, their high pedestals supporting galleries with carved fronts.
Vestry (formerly entrance vestibule) beneath west gallery. Entrance now under
tower. Fine, carved reredos communion table and rails, pulpit, west door, marble
font with corner etc. Modest sword-rest. Wall tablets. Marble paving. Inscribed
slabs. One of the least altered of Wren's churches.
Listing NGR: TQ3200080907
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings