History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge House

A Grade II Listed Building in Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2595 / 52°15'34"N

Longitude: 1.1022 / 1°6'8"E

OS Eastings: 611813

OS Northings: 266908

OS Grid: TM118669

Mapcode National: GBR TK9.9GX

Mapcode Global: VHL9T.2G2P

Plus Code: 9F437452+RV

Entry Name: Bridge House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182165

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281693

Location: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wetheringsett All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in


TM 16 NW side)
Bridge House

House. Known to have been an inn in C16, and a farmhouse from C17 to mid C19.
In 3 main sections: (i) an early C16 2-cell range to south; (ii) a mid C16 in-
line addition to north; (iii) a mid C16 wing to rear (east) of earlier work.
A fragment of a further C16 range at the rear, reduced in length c.1948 and
now corner-to-corner with the rear wing. Timber framed and plastered. South
range has a plaintiled roof, hipped to the south; north range is pantiled to
front and slated to rear; rear range is plaintiled to south and glazed black
pantiled to north. 2 storeys, former attic in north range. Continuous jetty
to road, a small section underbuilt; north range has moulded bressumer. C20
casement windows of various sizes, all with squared-leaded glass. South range
has a small late C19 ground floor canted bay with sash windows. At north end
of front, a door with 6 flush panels; large overlight. Fine stack at south
end of north range has 3 circular shafts decorated with Fleur-de-lys and
saltires, on moulded bases. A similar stack in the rear wing has 2 of the
shafts rebuilt in plain form, the original moulded bases surviving; the third
shaft has Fleur-de-lys motifs. Interior. South range comprises hall and
service cells. Hall ceiling has heavy chamfered cross beams, originally knee-
braced to the wallposts. Plain joists in service end, originally 2 rooms;
partition wall with hall removed. On upper floor, front wall has tension
braces and 2 oriel window sills. In rear wall, 2 adjacent C16 doorways, one
original; one doorway may have led into a gallery associated with use as an
inn. Framing in south gable end shows evidence for a doorway which probably
led into a garderobe. Later upper ceilings and replacement tie beams; roof
reconstructed. North range of high quality: a little heavy close studding
visible on upper floor, the timbers otherwise largely concealed. High upper
ceilings. Roof has one row of clasped purlins, 2-way arched wind bracing and
evidence for 2 original dormers in rear slope. Rear wing in 4 bays. Good
studding with evidence for diamond-mullioned windows, one on upper floor
intact. Forwardmost bay has close studding and chamfered-joist ceiling.
Former smoke bay adjacent has inserted stack and inserted ceiling with
irregularly-chamfered joists set flat. At rear, a 2-bay room with plain
ceiling joists. Well stair of c.1800 in rear wing has stick balusters and
shaped tread-ends. 2 upper fireplaces have duck's nest grates of similar

Listing NGR: TM1181366908

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.