This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1733 / 51°10'23"N
Longitude: -2.1368 / 2°8'12"W
OS Eastings: 390532
OS Northings: 141565
OS Grid: ST905415
Mapcode National: GBR 1VN.6MP
Mapcode Global: VH97P.XR7Y
Entry Name: Old Manor House
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183551
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313439
Location: Sutton Veny, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Sutton Veny
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Sutton Veny St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SUTTON VENY DUCK STREET
ST 94 SW
4/217 Old Manor House
Rectory, now private house. Mid C14 hall house, altered late C17
and additional wings added 1850s by Rector G. Powell, restored 1921
by D.E.W. Cowie. Dressed limestone, tiled roof, stone slates to
rear pitch, ashlar stacks. Three-bay hall with east solar cross
range and services and C19 wing to west. Two-storey and attic, 8
windows. Double cyma-moulded pointed doorway with ribbed door to
through passage to left of hall, hall has buttress with offsets and
two 2-light pointed windows to right, one an original C14 with
Decorated tracery, the other is of 1921, to left is former service
bay with 16-pane flush sash to ground and first floor, two hipped
dormers with sashes to attic. Attached to left is 1850s range with
two 12-pane sashes to ground and first floor, two hipped dormers
with casements to attic. To right is cross range with early C20
planked door and casements to ground floor and 12-pane sash and 3-
light casement to first, hipped roof. Rear has two 15-pane sashes
and 12-pane sash to C19 left range and two restored C14 pointed
windows to hall, moulded pointed doorway to through passage and
round-arched stair sash window to right, 1850s service wing to
right has 12-pane sashes to rear and to right return.
Interior: Fine 3-bay open hall with screens passage to west half-
bay with gallery over, two arch-braced collar trusses with upper
crown post to collar purlin and scissor rafter roof, moulded wall
plates and chamfered arch-braces, curved wind bracing to purlins.
Tudor-arched stone hall fireplace with herringbone brick back.
Closed tie-beam truss separates screens passage from services, two
stone pointed doorways, one blocked, to services. RB/1693 incised
on stone corbel to chamfered beam probably dates the insertion of a
floor or the improvement of the services. Stairs and remainder of
interior altered during C20, the restoration of 1921 included the
removal of an inserted floor in hall and removal of C19 sashes to
hall and replacement with C14-style windows similar to one
surviving window on front. Sir William Nicholson, the painter,
lived here during the 1920s. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965; B.
Watkin, Sutton Veny Guide, 1985).
Listing NGR: ST9053241565
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings