This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5519 / 51°33'6"N
Longitude: -1.65 / 1°38'59"W
OS Eastings: 424365
OS Northings: 183730
OS Grid: SU243837
Mapcode National: GBR 5WY.PN3
Mapcode Global: VHC14.C824
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318194
Location: Bishopstone, Swindon, SN6
Civil Parish: Bishopstone
Built-Up Area: Bishopstone
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bishopstone with Hinton Parva
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/02/2017
Parish Church of St Mary
Heavily restored 1868 and 1883 (see rainwater heads). Mostly perpendicular
in style with vestiges of Norman and Decorated periods.
West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with stepped buttresses, lower 2-bay chancel with
stepped diagonal buttresses. Built of random rubble and ashlar on moulded plinth.
Lead roofs. Two and three-light square headed windows with labels and foiled
heads. Two-light clerestory (possibly rebuilt 1883) to south. Quatrefoil parapet
to aisles (of St Michael's Highworth). To north: aisle windows have set-back
chamfer surrounds; north porch entrance appears circa 1200 and probably reset.
In the chancel a very ornate, reset small Norman doorway with horizontal chevron
ornament. East window of south aisle has early C14 reticulated tracery.
Crenellated west tower with diagonal buttresses and three set offs above plinth
level; angled stair turret to south-east. Gargoyles to cornice. Two-light
and trefoil belfry windows. Clock to south. West door 1883 with usual Tudor
arch trimmings and large 3-light perpendicular style window over.
INTERIOR: 3-bay 4-centred arcade, (one bay shorter to north for porch), undulating
section to shafts. Organ over steep 4-centred chancel arch. C14 head stop
reset to east of north arcade. Three C12 (probably) masks formerly on an order
around a doorway reset above south door. Late Norman font with tongued scallops
forming bowl on dog-tooth fillet; clustered shafts form the stem. The lectern,
pulpit, parclose screens to east of aisles and to tower are good examples of
Gothic (C19) carving. Marble tablet to Edith and Chris Willoughby (died 1673)
with broken segmental pediment in chancel. Fragments of mediaeval stained glass.
In the churchyard a number of C18 and early C19 headstones and a few early C19
Listing NGR: SU2436683728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings