This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.686 / 53°41'9"N
Longitude: -1.5827 / 1°34'57"W
OS Eastings: 427654
OS Northings: 421146
OS Grid: SE276211
Mapcode National: GBR KTDT.4D
Mapcode Global: WHC9Y.NMJ2
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 6 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342516
Location: Wakefield, WF5
Electoral Ward/Division: Ossett
Built-Up Area: Ossett
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ossett and Gawthorpe
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 22 SE OSSETT CHURCH STREET
Church of Holy Trinity
Church. 1862-5, consecrated 16thJuly 1865. by W H Crossland. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof Symmetrical cruciform plan. S-bay nave with lean-to aisles, south porch (blocked), single-bay transepts, 2-bay chancel with single-bay lean-to aisles. Square tower over crossing. Early English Gothic style. The tower has angle buttresses terminating as squat crocketed pinnacles. Paired, louvred bell-chamber openings. Pierced bracketed parapet, behind which is a tall, stone octagonal spire with three pierced ashlar bands. Short paired lancets with cinque foiled circle above to aisles and clerestory (west bay is blank). West door with 2 orders of colonettes and a polychromatic arch, the tympanum is infilled with fishscale decoration. Large 5-light west window with a 4-spoked wheel in head. 4-light north and south transept windows with foiled circles in head. Large 5-light east window with sexfoiled circle in head. Interior: simple S-bay arcade with a single moulding on short round, alternate red and grey granite piers, with very elaborate capitals carved with figure-heads and foliage. The clerestory is marked by colonnettes forming an arcade. Tower arches on giant columns with an additional red-granite colonnette in each corner. Scissor-braced roofs. Chapel to south, within parclose screens, one of which has stained glass. Organ to north. Stained glass east window by F Preedy, other glass possibly by Clayton and Bell. Small octagonal font dated 1713. Finely-carved pulpit of Caen stone with figures set in niches. Caen stone reredos of 4 relief panels and a central sculpted panel of the Last Supper brought forward under a later wooden baldachino. A large impressive church, and an important landmark in the area.
N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1967. K Taylor. Wakefield District Heritage, 1975. (for Wakefield EAHY Committee).
Listing NGR: SE2765421146
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings