This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6844 / 52°41'3"N
Longitude: -1.8326 / 1°49'57"W
OS Eastings: 411412
OS Northings: 309644
OS Grid: SK114096
Mapcode National: GBR 3C9.RGW
Mapcode Global: WHCGN.TSJG
Plus Code: 9C4WM5M8+QX
Entry Name: Former Probate Court and Attached Area Railings
Listing Date: 11 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187360
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382583
Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13
Civil Parish: Lichfield
Built-Up Area: Lichfield
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Lichfield Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK1109NW BIRD STREET
1094-1/4/37 (West side)
11/02/93 Former Probate Court and attached
Former probate court; at one time a museum; now offices.
1856-8. Brick with ashlar dressings; slate roofs with tile
crests; brick stacks. Double-depth single-storey range with
basement, with cross wing to right.
Single storey with basement; symmetrical 2-window range, with
2-storey-with-attic single-window range to right. Top
cornices; single-storey range has sill course.
Elliptical-headed entrance has moulded arch and hood, recessed
6-panel door; frieze above inscribed: PROBATE COURT.
Single-storey range has basement with segmental-headed windows
in chamfered openings and ground floor windows of 3
round-headed ovolo-mullioned lights with sashes in
architraves; cross wing has canted bay window with 1:3:1
elliptical-headed lights, 1st floor has window of 3
elliptical-headed lights and dripstone, 2nd floor has 2-light
hipped half-dormer. Left return has tall lateral stack with
flanking round-headed lights; rear range is recessed, with 2
windows of 2 lights. Cross wing has lateral stacks; right
return has entrance with chamfered surround, and 2-light 1st
floor window and single 2nd floor light above. Rear has
lateral stack and flanking hipped dormers.
Plain iron area railings; plaque records site of a house where
David Garrick spent his early life which was demolished in
Until 1858 wills were generally proved in the diocesan courts;
this building is a rare example of a purpose-built probate
(Iredale D: Discovering Local History: Aylesbury: 1977-:
Listing NGR: SK1141209644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings