This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1278 / 51°7'40"N
Longitude: -2.9903 / 2°59'25"W
OS Eastings: 330793
OS Northings: 136973
OS Grid: ST307369
Mapcode National: GBR M6.966R
Mapcode Global: VH7DJ.3XZ8
Entry Name: Bridgwater Railway Station
Listing Date: 16 December 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187364
English Heritage Legacy ID: 374012
Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6
Civil Parish: Bridgwater
Built-Up Area: Bridgwater
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST3036 WELLINGTON ROAD
736-1/9/195 (East side)
16/12/74 Bridgwater Railway Station
Railway station. 1841. By IK Brunel. For Great Western
Railway. Stucco, with slate roof hidden behind parapet; brick
stacks to wings.
2 rectangular-plan buildings connected by a bridge to the
north; the larger front main block to the west has set-back
side wings. Classical style.
One storey; 13-window range. Surrounding both parts of the
building is a high parapet with thick moulded coping and
plinth which stands on a heavy cornice with half-round string
course below. Openings have set-back rounded arrisses in
moulded architraves, the windows, mostly 6/6-pane sashes, also
have bracketed cills.
The booking hall to centre has a small pediment; a swept glass
verandah on 3 sides supported by pierced cast-iron brackets of
cinquefoils and trefoils on stone corbels; tripartite 6/6-pane
sash windows to centre front and returns, panelled door to
right, window to left; the left return has a large fixed
window with 2 rows of 5 panes. 2 set-back wings to the right:
C20 double doors under the verandah with 3 windows to the
The far right wing, set back even more, has 3 windows. The
set-back wing to the left has C19 panelled double doors under
the verandah and 4 windows to the left (one to left of centre
without an architrave); set back from that a small range with
one fixed casement window. Above it an original stack with
cornice and string-course similar to that of building.
The building to the east, across railway line, is similar in
detail. Canopies to the platforms are supported by octagonal
cast-iron columns and latticed girders; they have boarded
ceilings with a continuous pitched roof-light over small
king-post trusses along the centre. The edges are fretted and
pointed wood planks.
The closed-in bridge, to north, is approached by fine
staircases to each side with cast-iron stick balusters, vase
newels and swept oak handrails which follow the contours of
the structure; the floor of the bridge is slightly arched with
tongued-and-grooved panelling below windows, each of four
panes, with some mid C19 obscured finely ridged glass.
The wide entrance with C19 double doors to the front of the
left wing has double wooden gates at the foot of the bridge
stairs; these have chamfered members to diagonally-crossed
struts in rectangular frames with vertical iron bars passing
INTERIOR: virtually unchanged with high skirting boards and
4-panel doors. The booking hall has a large rectangular
lantern with a planked hipped roof over a row of square panes
with panels below. The window onto the booking office is
11-light reaching to the high ceiling; it has stopped chamfers
to the mullions and transom.
Listing NGR: ST3079336973
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings