This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.825 / 50°49'29"N
Longitude: -0.1757 / 0°10'32"W
OS Eastings: 528587
OS Northings: 104414
OS Grid: TQ285044
Mapcode National: GBR JP2.BD2
Mapcode Global: FRA B6JX.FC7
Entry Name: Victoria Terrace
Listing Date: 10 September 1971
Last Amended: 2 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187569
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365571
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Central Hove
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hove St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
579-1/21/65 (South side)
10/09/71 Nos 1-7 (Consecutive) Victoria
(Formerly Listed as:
Incomplete terrace, porches demolished and area subsequently
built out with shop fronts. Designed by Amon Wilds about 1830
but left unfinished; No.7 added soon after, first floor oriels
added when ground floor obscured by shop fronts c1880, some
alterations, particularly to shopfronts, mid-late C20.
Render over brick, roofs concealed behind parapet. Greek
Plan: unfinished terrace, eastern 4 bays break forward
slightly and are ornamented at eaves level, but there is no
repeat at the western end; the next 8 bays west give no
indication at eaves level as to the intended centre of the
range, while the final 2 western bays are unornamented; the
ground floor has been obscured by shopfronts.
4 storeys, 4:10 bays, 4 left with shallow pediment to centre 2
bays, flanked by volute and anthemion ornamentation to parapet
of slightly lower outer bays with arch head windows, 2
square-headed windows with linked entablature to centre,
similar window openings to rest of third floor set between
pilasters, 9- and 6-pane sash windows, strongly moulded
cornice with garlands to frieze, giant pilasters carry
entablature with enclosed palmettes to capitals, 9-pane sash
windows except to second and third bays left where there are
narrow 6-pane windows between paired pilasters without
capitals; first floor with enclosed shell heads above 12-pane
sash windows, cast-iron balconies, replaced in second, third,
sixth, seventh, tenth and eleventh bays by 3-light oriels
carried on cast iron brackets, blind parapet; below are
inserted windows not visible at street level because of the
projecting shopfronts. The end-two-bays right have the same
sash windows, but slightly larger, and the facade is
Single-fronted shop fronts below dentil moulded cornice,
fluted pilasters with cavetto moulded frieze and pediment
surmounted by ball finial; Nos 2 & 3 have been gutted.
Rear elevation (south), very austere with window openings
punched into the roughcast elevation without any mouldings.
The street directory for 1850 lists only Nos 1-6.
(National Monuments Record: Photograph).
Listing NGR: TQ2858704414
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings