This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9458 / 52°56'44"N
Longitude: -0.6177 / 0°37'3"W
OS Eastings: 492976
OS Northings: 339604
OS Grid: SK929396
Mapcode National: GBR DPS.6NF
Mapcode Global: WHGKH.H711
Plus Code: 9C4XW9WJ+8W
Entry Name: The Old School and Adjoining Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 14 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382938
Location: Belton and Manthorpe, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Belton and Manthorpe
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Belton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
In the entry for
BELTON & MANTHORPE MAIN STREET,
Belton (north west
1315-0/8/65 The Old School
The first sentence of the description shall be amended to read
"School, now a house and horologist's studio, and adjoining boundary walls"
BELTON & MANTHORPE
SK9239 MAIN STREET, Belton
1315-0/8/65 (North West side)
The Old School and adjoining
School, now a house and workshop, and adjoining boundary
walls. Dated 1826 and 1838, with C20 alterations. By Anthony
Salvin. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate
roof. Central external rear wall stack, formerly with 5 round
coped flues, now reduced to one. Single external stack of the
same design on the left gable. Tudor Revival style. Plinth,
quoins, shouldered coped gables with kneelers. Single storey
plus attics; 5 window range. Windows have stone surrounds,
chamfered mullions and cornices. Most have diamond pane
glazing. Central porch with a through-eaves dormer with
crowstepped gable and finial, and a single light window.
Moulded doorcase with cornice and 4-centred arched board door.
Above it, a cross, and a scroll with Latin inscription.
Beyond, single windows, then larger cross casements. Right
gable has a 2-light window and is topped with a gabled single
bellcote. Below, a square porch with coped balustrade and
doorway similar to the front. Left gable has reglazed single
light windows flanking the stack. Beyond, a single storey
service building with monopitch corrugated iron roof, single
door and window. Outside, at the front, 2 lengths of dwarf
wall with chamfered coping and rounded corners, formerly
topped with a railing. At the rear, a coursed squared stone
boundary wall approx 2.5m high and 15m long, with a stepped
coping and an off-centre chamfered doorway.
An educational building provided for workers on the Belton
estate by the Brownlow family. One of several estate buildings
by Salvin for John, first Earl Brownlow, 1815-1853, of Belton
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 135-136; Kerr M: Survey notes
on National Trust properties in Belton: 1985-1989; Allibone J:
Anthony Salvin: Cambridge: 1988-: 164).
Listing NGR: SK9297639604
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings