History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bede House and Adjoining Screen Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Grantham, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.946 / 52°56'45"N

Longitude: -0.6171 / 0°37'1"W

OS Eastings: 493017

OS Northings: 339630

OS Grid: SK930396

Mapcode National: GBR DPS.6SQ

Mapcode Global: WHGKH.H6CV

Plus Code: 9C4XW9WM+C4

Entry Name: Bede House and Adjoining Screen Wall

Listing Date: 19 February 1952

Last Amended: 14 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298452

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382918

Location: Belton and Manthorpe, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Belton and Manthorpe

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Belton St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Barkston

Listing Text

BELTON & MANTHORPE
SK9339 MAIN STREET, Belton
1315-0/9/45 (West side)
19/02/52 Bede Houses and adjoining screen
wall
(Formerly Listed as:
VILLAGE STREET
Bede Houses)
II

Almshouses and attached screen wall. Dated 1659, raised and
remodelled 1827, with internal alterations c1935. For Alice,
Lady Brownlow, remodelled for the first Earl Brownlow. Coursed
squared stone, with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped
slate roofs. 2 coped ashlar gable stacks with square flues,
and 2 similar ridge stacks with double flues. Quoins, coped
main gables with kneelers with ball finials. Single storey; 5
window range. Half-H plan. Windows are stone mullioned
casements with ovolo mullions and cornices. Some have C19
lattice glazing bars. Central ashlar doorcase with board door,
flanked by single 3-light windows. In each return, a similar
doorcase flanked on the outer side by a 3-light window. Each
gable also has a 3-light window. Beyond, short walls with
ramped coping, screening a single cell projection, originally
a larder. The wings are linked by a screen wall with round
arched open arcade and moulded coping. In the centre, an
ashlar gateway with a round topped gable and 3 ball finials,
inscribed "Piae Senectae Domus". Wrought-iron gate. These
almshouses were originally intended to house 6 women, but were
remodelled as 2 houses c1935.
A charitable building provided for workers on the Belton
estate by the Brownlow family of Belton House.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antrum N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 135-136; Kerr M: Survey notes
on National Trust properties in Belton: 1985-1989; Tinniswood
A: Belton House, Lincolnshire (National Trust Guide): London:
1992-).


Listing NGR: SK9301739630

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.