This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1282 / 53°7'41"N
Longitude: -2.1659 / 2°9'57"W
OS Eastings: 388996
OS Northings: 359015
OS Grid: SJ889590
Mapcode National: GBR 12S.Z36
Mapcode Global: WHBC7.PMTQ
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence and coffin lids and benches on south side
Listing Date: 13 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189902
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275227
Location: Biddulph, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST8
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Biddulph
Built-Up Area: Biddulph
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Biddulph St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 85 NE
SJ 890 590
CONGLETON ROAD (east side)
Church of St Lawrence and coffin lids and benches on south side
Parish church. C15 core; substantially rebuilt in 1833 by T.Trubshaw, with additions and Heath Chapel by Ernest Bates done in 1873; slightly altered in 1894 by Lynham. Red sandstone coursed and dressed; blue machine tile roof to nave, lead to aisles, (invisible behind parapets).
Virtually rectangular plan of projecting south porch, aisles, nave, and chancel, flanked by chapels ; northwest tower tucked between north aisle and nave, all of a local Perpendicular, the restoration work of Trubshaw is the typical Perpendicular of the period.
Tower: C15 of four stages; thin diagonal buttresses all turned into diagonal pilaster strips to upper stages run through to crenellated parapet; cavetto strings define bell chamber with gargoyles to centre of upper strings on outer sides; three-light, four-centred-arch, panel tracery openings to bell chamber; round arch window to first stage on north side. Shallow gabled porch of 1833, with blind parvis window over four-centre-pointed arch entry contemporary with aisles of four bays divided by pilaster buttresses of two stages; roll plinth string and further string below parapet, labelled three-light Perpendicular window to each bay; chapel bays of 1873 built on to east end of each aisle flanking chancel and gabled to east; taller than aisles; to south, unfenestrated with upper string stepped over blind opening, similar to aisles on north with stepped label over high level three-light east window.
Nave and chancel: in one range with continuous crenellated parapet and clerestory of four bays of Perpendicular three-light windows to nave. East window of three tiers of panel tracery; west window also of panel tracery, with enlarged centre-light, and over four centred-arch west door. Seven coffin lids, mostly inscribed with crosses laid at plinth height, set as benches between bays of south aisle.
Interior: Nave of four bays of octagonal columns and moulded capitals supporting clerestory and cambered, coffered, roll-moulded-beamed ceiling with gilded pendant bosses; pent aisle ceilings similar but simpler; pointed chancel arch with inscription round extrados. Chancel: five-sided apse, with three-tiered, blind, trefoil-headed panel tracery of three bays to all sides (the east window of three lights forms part of the device); segmental ribs run to centre boss of flat ceiling; organ and vestry bay to north and Heath Chapel to south: pointed arch off aisle, to invisibly top-lit bay; intensely patterned encaustic tile and marble floor with Heath coat-of-arms to centre, decorative wrought iron railed enclosure to the Church's major Monument: William and Mary Heath of 1872, by Matthew Noble, in marble; the former life-sized set under the figure of Christ, all against a pointed arch-headed ground; eleven plaques to Heath family on Chapel sides; further plaque of 1872 to William Heath on south wall of aisle; marble, twin-columned gabled pilasters to crocketted centre gable over inscription.
Bowyer Memorial: a chest tomb of 1649 in marble, partly vaulted under tower; slab top with inscribed edge and painted carved coats-of-arms to longer sides, 18 to north and three to south; further Bowyer wall memorial of 1749 to north aisle; segmental pediment over coat-of-arms, supported by Ionic pilasters on gadrooned rims to corbels. Font: of drum shape; round-arched blind arcaded sides; octagonal oak Pulpit on stem, stone altar with blind tracery similar to chancel sides. Fragments of medieval glass retained in east window, including coat-of-arms of Biddulph family. Painted hatchment to south wall of nave.
Listing NGR: SJ8899659015
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings