This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1288 / 53°7'43"N
Longitude: -2.1656 / 2°9'56"W
OS Eastings: 389013
OS Northings: 359083
OS Grid: SJ890590
Mapcode National: GBR 12S.Z5K
Mapcode Global: WHBC7.PMY8
Entry Name: War Memorial in St Lawrence's Churchyard, Biddulph
Listing Date: 12 October 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1450156
Location: Biddulph, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST8
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Biddulph
Built-Up Area: Biddulph
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
First World War memorial, unveiled on 4 June 1921.
First World War memorial, erected 1921.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is located in the churchyard to the north of the Church of St Lawrence (Grade II*- listed); several Grade II-listed memorials are also in the churchyard.
It is of Cornish granite and takes the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross with a knot work design carved in relief to each cross arm and a round emboss to the centre. The wheel has trefoil tracery between the cross arms. The cross-head surmounts a tapering shaft with moulded foot, rising from a two-tier, tapering plinth. Both tiers are four-sided with the lower tier being slightly wider than the upper tier. The whole surmounts a regular-coursed, two-stepped stone base with small square stones to each corner of the lower step. All inscriptions and names are in raised leaded lettering.
The principal inscription is to the front (west) face of the upper tier of the plinth and reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE BIDDULPH MEN WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ AUG. 1914 – NOV. 1918/ “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”. There is a further inscription to the rear (east) face, which reads THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE.
The lower tier of the plinth carries the names of those who died to all four faces.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 31 January 2018.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised within St Lawrence’s churchyard at Biddulph as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled and dedicated on 4 June 1921 by the Right Reverend Bishop Taylor Smith (Chaplain General of the Forces). Originally, the memorial carried the names of 70 local men who died in the war, with three others added at a later date.
A second memorial was erected for Biddulph in 1922; this is located within the town itself at a prominent road junction.
The war memorial in St Lawrence's Churchyard, Biddulph, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made during the First World War.
* A well-executed Celtic wheel-head cross memorial.
* With the Grade II*-listed Church of St Lawrence and the Grade II-listed memorials within the churchyard.
Other nearby listed buildings