History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Bentley, Doncaster

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.5558 / 53°33'20"N

Longitude: -1.1271 / 1°7'37"W

OS Eastings: 457921

OS Northings: 406926

OS Grid: SE579069

Mapcode National: GBR NWKB.S2

Mapcode Global: WHDCW.NWGG

Plus Code: 9C5WHV4F+84

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 10 December 1959

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191878

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334915

Location: Doncaster, DN5

County: Doncaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Bentley

Built-Up Area: Bentley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Arksey All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in


SE 50 NE (east side),
Church of All Saints
Church. C12, C13 and C15; restored 1869-70 by Sir George Gilbert Scott.
Rubble and ashlar magnesian limestone, lead roofs. Cruciform plan: 3-bay
nave with aisles and south porch, crossing tower, 3-bay chancel with north
and south chapels. Navel south aisle has chamfered plinth and moulded band;
bay-1 porch with responds and carved capitals to a chamfered and quadrant-
moulded arch beneath crocketed hood; carved shields beneath string course
with carved face; embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. C13 south door
within has chamfered arch with hood. Other bays have buttresses on right of
3-light pointed windows with renewed panel tracery beneath old hoods; 4-light
west window flanked by buttresses. Nave west wall is of earlier rubble with
renewed, pointed 3-light window of 3 cusped lancet lights beneath hoodmould;
ashlar parapet with cross. North aisle has chamfered plinth, moulded band
and offset buttresses; 4-light west window; Tudor-arched north door has
hoodmould with large stops and is set beneath window of 2 ogee lights with
hoodmould; other bays have 3- and 4-light windows with mouchettes in
chamfered, square-headed recesses. Aisle parapets as porch. Crossing: south
transept of early rubblework with C12 priests' door on left beneath band;
3-light Decorated window over has pointed arch and hood; low gable with apex
finial base; north transept similar. Tower: south-west vice projection and
pointed south doorway beneath weathering of an earlier transept roof; cusped
iron clock face on south side beneath C12, chamfered slit window; C13 upper
stage with 2-light lancet windows with dividing shafts and pierced spandrels
all set within round-arched recesses with shafted jambs; oversailing course
with gargoyles beneath parapet with crocketed pinnacles; short, recessed
octagonal spire with lucarnes. Chancel: embattled C15 south chapel with
uncusped 3-light windows having pointed arches and hoodmoulds; east parapet
incorporates re-used cross slab, Chancel east end, set back, has C19 three-
light window of stepped, round-headed lights beneath continuous hoodmould;
vesica to gable with indented copings and apex cross. North chapel: restored
C13 east window of 3-lights with intersecting tracery; large 6-light north
window has king mullion and Tudor-arched lights.

Interior: aisle arcade piers are octagonal to south and cylindrical to north
and have matching responds, various moulded capitals and double-chamfered
arches. Round arch of 2 orders from north aisle to transept, a C12 slit
window above. Nave has C19 roof; earlier aisle roofs, that to south more
heavily moulded. Crossing: altered C12 piers, those to east with C13 shafts
set round an octagon; C13 arches, to north and south double-chamfered, the
others moulded. Cavetto-moulded arch into north chapel from transept; that
from transept to south chapel is double-chamfered. Chancel north wall has
half a C12 window embrasure; south wall has half a pointed arch, both sides
now with large double-chamfered arches into the chapels. Piscina with half-
octagonal pedestal in front; C13 sedilia bench with shaped arms. C19 chancel
roof; probably C15 roofs to the transepts and chapels have moulded and
cambered tie beams. Furnishings: Decorated screen in south chapel with
carved mid-rail and heavy cornice moulding. Carved octagonal wooden pulpit
of 1634 set on later base has bracketed book ledge, back board and canopy.
Octagonal ashlar font has wooden cover dated 1662 with scrolled frets set
around on baluster. C18 aisle pews with scratch-moulding, turned finials and
balustrading at east end. Monuments: in north transept a marble wall
monument to George Cooke (d.1683) has inscription on plaque beneath decorated
aedicule with bust in oval panel and open segmental pediment with cartouche.
In south chapel a cast-iron plaque records the gift of George Radley to the
poor of the parish in 1824.

Listing NGR: SE5791806924

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.