This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5572 / 53°33'26"N
Longitude: -1.1252 / 1°7'30"W
OS Eastings: 458050
OS Northings: 407089
OS Grid: SE580070
Mapcode National: GBR NWL9.6K
Mapcode Global: WHDCW.PVDB
Entry Name: Arksey Hall Including West Wing
Listing Date: 10 December 1959
Last Amended: 23 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334922
Location: Doncaster, DN5
Electoral Ward/Division: Bentley
Built-Up Area: Bentley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Arksey All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
BENTLEY WITH ARKSEY MARSH LANE
SE 50 NE (north side),
7/58 Arksey Hall
10.12.59 including West Wing
(formerly listed as
Large house now 2 dwellings. Rebuilt early C19 on earlier core. Cement-
rendered, C20 tile roof. 2 storeys, 5 x 5 bays; double-pile plan with
single-storey addition to right return. Tuscan-columned stone porch to left
of centre enclosing part-glazed door with margin-glazed overlight.
Bays 1 and 5 have projecting stone-sills to 16-pane sashes in flush wooden
architraves, bays 2 and 4 with later casements. 1st floor: stained glass to
margin-glazed sash over porch; round-headed stair-window sash with glazing
bars on left; bay 4 has casement; bays 1 and 5 as on ground floor.
Overhanging eaves to hipped roof with corniced stack at eaves on left and
2 ridge stacks. Addition set back on right has graduated slate roof.
Left return: central door with canopy, otherwise plain sashes,
Right return: 6-panel door and plain fanlight beneath round arch; 3-light
horizontally sliding sash on left; unequally-hung, 20-pane sash and sash with
glazing bars to ist floor.
Interior; early C19 staircase, panelled door architraves etc; fine set of
glazed, mahogany-veneered cupboards in room to rear. Front room to right of
entrance has altered C17 fireplace with lintel having carved Tudor roses and
motto 'Ne Vite Velis'; above a wooden overmantel with 8 lozenge-carved panels
and date '1653 / IAC' in triangular-panelled head carved with griffins.
Listing NGR: SE5805007089
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings