This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4668 / 51°28'0"N
Longitude: -0.3005 / 0°18'1"W
OS Eastings: 518151
OS Northings: 175570
OS Grid: TQ181755
Mapcode National: GBR 80.6Y7
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.RD0F
Entry Name: Original Block of Richmond Royal Hospital
Listing Date: 25 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193875
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205477
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW9
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: North Richmond
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Richmond
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/07/2017
KEW FOOT ROAD (east side),
Original block of Richmond Royal Hospital
Formerly a house, later incorporated into a hospital. Mid C18,
formerly comprising 5-bay centre and 2-bay wings set back, the
south wing demolished c1882, when an extra storey was added to
the north wing and a projecting 2-storey wing obscured it.
poet James Thomson lived here from 1736 until his death in
1748 and wrote his most famous works here, the masque
"Alfred", which includes the anthem "Rule Britannia" (1740),
"The Castle of Indolence" (1748) and "The Seasons" (1738).
After Thomson's death the house was bought by a friend, George
Ross, who enlarged it, and in 1786 it was bought by Mrs
Boscawen, widow of the famous admiral. On her death in 1805 it
was bought by the 6th Earl of Shaftesbury, who changed the name
to Shaftesbury House.
Built of stock brick with roof partially
concealed by parapet, the other part tiled. Two sections. The
right hand part of three storeys, five bays. Stone coping ramped up in
centre to form a pediment. Cambered sashes, 9-pane to second
floor, 12-pane to first floor. Four bays of ground floor obscured
by late C19 or early C20 projection but original Ionic portico
incorporated in end. Cornice has mutule frieze and 4-leaved
paterae. To left side is a further 2-bay C18 wing with early
C20 mansard roof. Second-floor windows are early C20 in
original architraves but the other floors are obscured by the
later extension. Rear elevation has mainly 12-pane sashes to
the main part and C20 windows to the north wing. Mansard tiled
roof and C19 chimneystacks. C19 attached hospital buildings
not of special interest.
INTERIOR has entrance hall with mid
C18 staircase with scrolled tread ends and two turned balusters
to each step, doorcase with bolection moulding, 6-panelled
door and panelling with dado rail. Other features this floor
include large room to wing with ovolo-moulded cornice and dado
rail and fireplaces with eared architraves. First floor has
mid-C18 panelled room and fireplace with brackets, Vitruvian
scroll and C19 tiled surround. Moulded cornice to rear room.
Second floor retains old floorboards.
Listing NGR: TQ1815175570
Former List Entry:
5028 KEW FOOT ROAD
Original block of
Richmond Royal Hospital
TQ 1875 11/1
The nucleus is a late C18 brown brick house, 2 storeys, 5 windows. Now embedded in
buildings of many later dates. Pro-style Roman Ionic porch in front of modern single
This house was "Rosedale House" once the home of James Thomson author of "The Castle
of Indolence", "The Seasons" etc.
(This original part of the present hospital complex only is listed; the central
5 bays bearing the name of the Hospital.)
Listing NGR: TQ1815175570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings