This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9702 / 51°58'12"N
Longitude: 1.0144 / 1°0'51"E
OS Eastings: 607157
OS Northings: 234485
OS Grid: TM071344
Mapcode National: GBR SMB.K7Z
Mapcode Global: VHKFN.JRM0
Entry Name: Old Chapel House
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Last Amended: 29 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278761
Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: East Bergholt
Built-Up Area: East Bergholt
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT RECTORY HILL
6/53 Old Chapel House
(Formerly listed as
22.2.55 The Cedars)
House. C16 origins, C18 alterations, refronting of 1818 and C20 extension to left.
Timber-framed, rendered, partly cased in painted brick. White brick front. Plain
tile roof. 2 storeys, 3-bay front with C20 extension of one bay recessed at left.
Angle pilasters. Off-centre 6-panel door in pilastered doorcase with panelled
reveals and soffit. Radial fanlight with keyed elliptical archivolt. 12-pane
sashes in reveals, painted sills, cambered cement arches. Narrow 8-pane sash to
right of door. Parapet. Roof hipped at front. Corniced ridge stacks. C20
extension to left return with flush 12-pane sashes. Interior: entrance hall with
chamfered beam and exposed joists, dragon beam at left indicates former jetty.
Room to right of door shows beam and joists with hollow chamfers and pyramid stops,
kitchen to rear, chamfered beam, exposed joists, studded walls, one with reused
moulded joists. Moulded beams to drawing room which also has early C19 features
including Adam style fireplace and door architrave. 6-panel doors. Staircase,
treads replaced, closed-string, fluted column-on-twist balusters. Fluted square
newels with turned and fluted newels to first floor. Arched string above stair
at first floor level. Moulded ramped handrail. Panelled dado with fluted pilasters
follows line of stair. First floor: bathroom with inscribed date 1776. Beams
with deep roll mouldings separated by hollow chamfers. Small section linenfold
panelling. Bedroom to right shows studded wall, moulded front wall plate and
section of moulded cambered tie beam.
East Bergholt Society, Looking at East Bergholt 1981. Text by J Elam.
Listing NGR: TM0715734485
Other nearby listed buildings