This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2043 / 51°12'15"N
Longitude: -2.1792 / 2°10'45"W
OS Eastings: 387574
OS Northings: 145026
OS Grid: ST875450
Mapcode National: GBR 1V6.FVK
Mapcode Global: VH97H.5ZSN
Entry Name: 44-54, Market Place
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Last Amended: 31 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194357
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312960
Location: Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Warminster
Built-Up Area: Warminster
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Warminster Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 8745 SE
MARKET PLACE (South side)
Nos 44 to 54 (even)
(Formerly listed as Nos 8, 8A, 9, 10 and 11)
Apparently after 1783 (VCH). Slightly angled three storey terrace extending east from the Old Bell (qv). Stone, coursed and squared rubble, stucco fronted, with moulded strings over ground and first floors, moulded cornice, parapet and moulded cope. Corner pilasters and late glazed sash windows with segmental heads on moulded architraves divided by pilasters into 2+3+1+5+5 (from right). On ground floor a high segmental coach arch to right with keystone, leading to stables at rear of Old Bell.
Nos 44 and 46 have modern shop fronts. To left a narrow through passage framed by pilasters, round headed spandrels. No 48 has plain late C19 shop front with rectangular traceried fanlight to recessed door. No 50 retains evidence of a mid C19 shop front (panelled pilaster to left) and one of the original pilasters to the entrance. Pedimented doorway in centre of Nos.52 and 54 with plain Doric pilasters and glazed door.
Listing NGR: ST8757445026
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings