This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6822 / 52°40'56"N
Longitude: -1.8306 / 1°49'50"W
OS Eastings: 411550
OS Northings: 309407
OS Grid: SK115094
Mapcode National: GBR 4DN.S09
Mapcode Global: WHCGN.VVG3
Entry Name: 15, Sandford Street
Listing Date: 6 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382737
Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13
Civil Parish: Lichfield
Built-Up Area: Lichfield
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Lichfield Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK1109SE SANDFORD STREET
1094-1/8/150 (South East side)
Two houses, now County Council offices. c1780 with range to
right of c1908.
Brick with ashlar dressings; tile roofs with brick stacks.
Double-depth plan. Georgian style.
3 storeys; 3-window range with 2-window range to right. Brick
plinth and top cornice. Central entrance has doorcase with
architrave, frieze and bracketed pediment, overlight to
6-fielded-panel door; round-headed entrance to left end has
fanlight to 6-panel door. Windows have sills, those to ground
floor bracketed, and rubbed brick flat arches, and horned
sashes, those to ground floor have 16 panes, those to 1st
floor have 4/8 panes flanking one of 3/6 panes, those to 2nd
floor of 8 panes flanking one of 6 panes. End stacks.
Range to right has 2 platt bands and top modillioned brick
cornice. Windows to ground and 1st floors have sills,
bracketed to ground floor, and segmental-heads; all windows
have top-hung casements, those to ground and 1st floor with
4/8 panes, window to left end with one of 2/4 panes (probably
originally entrance), those to 2nd floor with 8 panes.
Rainwater head and later downspout between ranges. Rear has 2
gabled wings with parapeted infill; rear of range to right has
wing with coped gable with large cross-axial stack with cogged
INTERIOR: stone-flagged floor to hall with round arch to stair
hall; open-well staircase has cut string, column-on-vase
balusters, newels formed by clusters of 4 balusters, and
ramped handrail. Plaque in hall records history as the
Victoria Nursing Home.
The house became the home in 1899, the right range being added
c1908 as offices and nurses' home; from 1934-85 it was a
(Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W:
Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.106).
Listing NGR: SK1155009407
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings