History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbot's Court and Attached Walls and Gate Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Ilminster, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9279 / 50°55'40"N

Longitude: -2.9118 / 2°54'42"W

OS Eastings: 336015

OS Northings: 114671

OS Grid: ST360146

Mapcode National: GBR M9.PVGL

Mapcode Global: FRA 46SN.9G3

Entry Name: Abbot's Court and Attached Walls and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 23 September 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195029

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383371

Location: Ilminster, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Ilminster

Built-Up Area: Ilminster

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Ilminster

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


1939-1/7/7 (East side)
23/09/50 Abbot's Court and attached walls and
gate piers


Formerly known as: Abbot's Court COURT BARTON.
House. C17, refronted and altered in C19 and 1950. Squared and
coursed limestone rubble with thatched roof to the front,
pantile to the rear; brick stacks to gable ends and centre of
rear. 3-unit plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 5-window range. Roof raised in C19, and
the original wall-plate has mortices to former mullions in the
soffit, above, but not coinciding with, C19 three-light
casements. The wall above the 2 ranges to right has been
raised further, forming a step in the line of the eaves, and
there are wrought-iron brackets to a former gutter along the
whole facade. The 2 windows to first-floor right are taller
2-light casements. C20 door to the inside right, under a
trellised porch with a hipped lead roof in the style of c1840,
though in fact reconstructed in 1950. Flanking the door are
C20 6/6-pane sashes, one to the right and 2 to the left under
reconstructed stone lintels. To far left is a C19 three-light
window with chamfered stone mullions and cast-iron frames with
small panes, similar to those in the former grammar school,
now No.28 Court Barton (qv), under a segmental relieving arch.
To the left of that, in the adjoining Masonic Lodge (qv), are
2 similarly-shaped windows, one now of fixed plate-glass, and
the other has a 1950 door inserted. The rear is essentially
INTERIOR: Passage and lower room to right have blue lias
flagstone floors, room to left, separated by a timbered
lath-and-plaster wall, has 2 chamfered beams and a large C17
fireplace in the rear right corner, with an oak Tudor-arch
lintel. Otherwise interior mainly of C19 character, with a
marble fireplace to the right-hand room, staircase with stick
balusters and turned newel, and 6-panel doors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: A high limestone rubble wall, attached to
the Masonic Lodge (qv), running 20m south to tall C19 gate
piers at the entrance to a C19 coach house (not included),
encloses the garden to the south, and attaches to the
south-east corner of Abbot's Court. Attached to the north-east
corner is a high C18 Flemish-bond brick wall which runs
northward and attaches to No.56 High Street (qv).

Listing NGR: ST3601514671

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.