This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.928 / 50°55'40"N
Longitude: -2.912 / 2°54'43"W
OS Eastings: 335998
OS Northings: 114675
OS Grid: ST359146
Mapcode National: GBR M9.PVF9
Mapcode Global: FRA 46SN.9BT
Entry Name: Masonic Lodge (Nyanza Lodge)
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195030
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383372
Location: Ilminster, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Ilminster
Built-Up Area: Ilminster
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Ilminster
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST3414 BERRYMAN'S LANE
1939-1/6/8 (East side)
23/09/50 Masonic Lodge (Nyanza Lodge)
Formerly known as: Masonic Lodge (Nyanza Lodge) COURT BARTON.
Masonic Lodge. Probably early C19, on old foundations. Large
blocks of rough ashlar and coursed limestone rubble to the
gable, probably Moolham stone, with pantile roof and brick
stack to the left gable end of the main, older part facing
south; Flemish-bond brick with a hipped slate roof to the rear
single-story wing. L-shape plan.
EXTERIOR: The main block is 2 storeys. 2-window range to the
south front, the garden of which belongs to Abbot's Court.
2-light casement windows with glazing bars to the first floor,
the ground floor has 2 wide segmental arches, that to the left
with 4 fixed plate-glass panes between chamfered mullions; a
1950 door now fills that to the right. There is a similar arch
to the right of that, in the adjoining Abbot's Court (qv). The
main building is at a right-angle to the lane, facing which,
on the left return (west), is an C18 Ham Hill stone
Tuscan-style doorcase, re-positioned in 1913; the door is
c1860, 4-panel with overlight. The brick rear wing, with a
large boarded-up window, is connected by a wall, with a
doorway under a stone lintel, to the next house to the north;
the lintel and the quoin, are of Ham Hill stone.
INTERIOR not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a high limestone rubble wall, with wooden
planked gate close to the lodge, runs along the lane to the
right, enclosing part of Abbot's Court (qv) garden and is
included in that description.
HISTORY: In 1858, Captain John Hanning Speke, of Dillington
House and member of the lodge, contemporary of Burton, Stanley
and Livingstone, in searching for the source of the Nile,
claimed he had found it in Lake Nyanza and named it Victoria
Listing NGR: ST3599814675
Other nearby listed buildings