This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0484 / 54°2'54"N
Longitude: -2.8124 / 2°48'44"W
OS Eastings: 346905
OS Northings: 461690
OS Grid: SD469616
Mapcode National: GBR 8PSM.XH
Mapcode Global: WH846.RHYR
Entry Name: The war memorial, Westfield War Memorial Village
Listing Date: 13 March 1995
Last Amended: 14 June 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195055
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383332
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Marsh
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD46SE STOREY AVENUE
1685-1/1/299 War Memorial
War memorial. Statue dated 1925. Signed 'Jennie Delahunt'.
Bronze on sandstone ashlar base. Plinth of rectangular plan
with re-entrant corners, on base of 2 steps. The statue
depicts a soldier with rifle and helmet supporting a kneeling
wounded comrade and giving him a drink from a flask. Attached
to the base is a plaque inscribed: 'THE WESTFIELD WAR MEMORIAL
VILLAGE FOUNDED IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF THE SACRIFICE MADE
BY THE KING'S OWN ROYAL LANCASTER REGIMENT THE LANCASTER
BATTERIES OF ARTILLERY AND OTHER LANCASTRIANS IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918 THE CHILDREN OF SIR THOMAS STOREY GAVE THE
PROPERTY. THE COTTAGES WERE BUILT BY PUBLIC AND INDIVIDUAL
SUBSCRIPTION. THE VILLAGE WAS DESIGNED BY THOMAS HAYTON
The memorial provides the focal point of the formal layout of
the 'village' and terminates the view from the entrance
Listing NGR: SD4690661691
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 2 February 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
First World War memorial by Jennie Delahunt. Erected 1926.
First World War memorial. Erected in 1926 by Jennie Delahunt.
MATERIALS: bronze statue on sandstone plinth.
DESCRIPTION: The war memorial, Westfield War Memorial Village, comprises a bronze statue of two soldiers, on a sandstone ashlar plinth. The plinth is of rectangular plan with re-entrant corners, and sits on a base of two steps.
The statue depicts two soldiers: one, helmeted, is standing, with his rifle slung, supporting the other, who is on his knees. The soldier on his knees is hatless, and appears to be wounded. The standing soldier is helping him to drink from a canteen. Both soldiers are depicted as if on the battlefield, with both soldiers in 1907 pattern equipment and the detritus of war, such as a broken gun carriage, at their feet.
The plinth is inscribed: THE WESTFIELD WAR / MEMORIAL VILLAGE / FOUNDED IN GRATEFUL / REMEMBRANCE OF THE / SACRIFICE MADE BY THE / KING'S OWN ROYAL / LANCASTER REGIMENT / THE LANCASTER BATTERIES / OF ARTILLERY AND OTHER / LANCASTRIANS IN / THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918 / THE CHILDREN OF / SIR THOMAS STOREY / GAVE THE PROPERTY / THE COTTAGES WERE BUILT / BY PUBLIC AND INDIVIDUAL / SUBSCRIPTION THE VILLAGE / WAS DESIGNED BY / THOMAS HAYTON MAWSON.
The memorial provides the focal point of the formal layout of the village and terminates the view from the entrance gateway.
The aftermath of the First World War saw an unprecedented wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
In 1918, Thomas Heyton Mawson started to gather support for a memorial village in Lancaster, as permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War, and to provide accommodation and employment for disabled veterans. While initially unpopular with the Ministry of Pensions, the proposal enjoyed widespread local support, particularly after a local businessman and former High Sheriff of Lancashire, Herbert Storey, gifted 16 acres of land to the project. By 1919, the Westfield War Memorial Village had been planned as a series of streets radiating out from a central war memorial. The village was formally opened by General Haig on 24 November 1924.
The central war memorial was not in place at the opening of the village, but was unveiled by General Sir Archibald Hunter on 4 August 1926. It was sculpted in clay by a local sculptor, Jennie Delahunt, and was paid for in full by Herbert Storey. The clay mould was transported to London for casting in 1925.
Jennie Delahunt was born in 1876, in Hanley, Staffordshire, and trained at the Manchester Municipal School of Art. At the time of the commissioning of the war memorial, she was the modelling mistress at Lancaster School of Art, in the Storey Institute. She later went on to teach art at the Lancaster Grammar School for Girls.
Thomas Heyton Mawson was born in Nether Wyresdale, Lancashire in 1861. He started desiging gardens in the 1880s, and designed a number of prominent parks in Wales and England, including the public park in Barrow in Furness, and the Hill Hampstead, Rivington Gardens and Lever Park in Lancashire, all for Lord Leverhulme. He was elected president of the Town Planning Institute in 1923, and was the first president of the Institute of Landscape Architects.
The statue, which depicts one soldier giving a drink to another soldier, was commended on its unveiling not only for its unusual composition, but also for the suitability of the subject matter (one soldier helping another) with respect to its position at the centre of Westfield War Memorial Village. The two soldiers were modelled on individual veterans, with Private Richard Henry Allen of Rochdale, the model for the kneeling soldier, and Captain Jack Ward of Walney Island, the model for the injured soldier.
The war memorial, Westfield War Memorial Village, by Jennie Delahunt and erected in 1926, is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: as a finely crafted combination of bronze statuary on a sandstone plinth, placed at the hub of a memorial village by notable landscape architect Thomas Mawson;
* Sculptural interest: as a well-executed and unusual composition by local sculptor Jennie Delahunt;
* Design interest: as an unusual depiction of a soldier helping a wounded comrade on the field of battle;
* Rarity: as an example of a war memorial sculpted by a woman, and as an example of the rare depiction of wounded soldiers in combat;
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Group value: with the Grade II listed columns incorporated into the south corner of 14 Storey Avenue (NHLE 1298330).
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings