This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0487 / 54°2'55"N
Longitude: -2.8123 / 2°48'44"W
OS Eastings: 346915
OS Northings: 461719
OS Grid: SD469617
Mapcode National: GBR 8PSM.YD
Mapcode Global: WH846.SH0K
Entry Name: Three Columns Adjoining the Southern Corner of Number 14 (Nantyr)
Listing Date: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298330
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383331
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Marsh
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD46SE STOREY AVENUE
1685-1/1/298 (North West side)
Three columns adjoining the southern
corner of No.14 (Nantyr)
3 columns. Probably c1670, moved to their present position in
the 1920s. Sandstone ashlar. Each is unfluted and has an
astragal and a moulded abacus, except for the northern column,
which abuts the house and has a plain abacus which appears to
be a replacement.
HISTORY: these columns formed part of the Town Hall which was
built c1670 and demolished in 1781 when it was replaced by the
building which is now the City Museum (qv) in Market Street.
They were incorporated into a building which stood where the
entrance to the Westfield Memorial Village now is, and were
placed in their present position in the 1920s, following its
No.14 not included.
Listing NGR: SD4691561719
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings