This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5263 / 51°31'34"N
Longitude: -0.0883 / 0°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 532711
OS Northings: 182555
OS Grid: TQ327825
Mapcode National: GBR S7.91
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.FW4S
Entry Name: Former Leysian Mission
Listing Date: 24 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195534
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368740
Location: Islington, London, EC1V
Electoral Ward/Division: Bunhill
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Clement Finsbuy
Church of England Diocese: London
CITY ROAD (West side)
Former Leysian Mission
Former Methodist Leysian Mission. 1901-6, and dated 1903 in left-hand pediment; right-hand pediment has date 1955 referring to restoration work following bomb damage. By Bradshaw and Gass.
Red terracotta with polished granite piers to ground floor, rear elevations of white brick, and mansard roofs of Welsh slate; internal construction partly of steel. Five principal storeys with two storeys of dormers in attic and four additional storeys in central tower.
The City Road front presents an almost symmetrical elevation consisting of a broad, slightly projecting centrepiece over the entrances, gabled end bays, and three bays between to either side. The detail is of a type partly derived from late-Gothic forms influenced by Art Nouveau, often found in Edwardian Nonconformist architecture. Flat-arched entrances to centrepiece with antae, round-arched openings to either side for shops with columns, the capitals on antae and columns of stylised foliage forms; broad coved frieze above the arcade, interrupted by bracketed cartouches; mezzanine to the centrepiece interrupts the frieze with a four-light window under a round arch flanked by two-light windows under round arches, with an elaborate version of a Lombard frieze and a balustraded parapet above; the rest of the centrepiece has a central canted bay to three storeys, pairs of windows to either side, and a single window to either side of that. Either side of the centrepiece are three canted bays to three storeys, with flat-arched windows to first floor, one mullion one transom, with Art Nouveau-influenced moulding over, a similar window to the second floor without the moulding, and segmental-arched windows to the third floor; between the bays are narrow panels with traceried niches at the third floor. The outer bay has flat-arched windows to the first and second floor and segmental to the third with oculi above, and elaborate ornament to the spandrels; the piers on either side of the outer bay are double-curved on their faces. The cornice projects over the canted bays, and, above that, there is an attic storey with a segmental window to the centrepiece, an arcade of segmental windows over the canted bays, with squat columns and ornate capitals, and lunette windows to the end bay. Billeted cornice; over the centrepiece is the octagonal tower with two flanking domes to its first floor and a small canted bay to second and third, elaborate Lombard frieze and dome with oculi and lantern. Over the canted bays there are two storeys of flat-arched dormers; and three segmental-arched windows to outer bays under segmental-pointed-arched pediments, carrying dates. At the southern end, there is an additional bay with carriage entrance to ground floor, a first-floor which continues treatment of main facade, and then, to second and third
floors, a five-sided bay which becomes semi-circular on the fourth floor.
INTERIOR: The previous list description refers to contemporary staircase and semi-circular landings with free-standing columns, and stained glass by W.J. Pearce of Manchester.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).
Listing NGR: TQ3271182555
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings