History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

24, North Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Islington, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5475 / 51°32'50"N

Longitude: -0.1263 / 0°7'34"W

OS Eastings: 530018

OS Northings: 184841

OS Grid: TQ300848

Mapcode National: GBR FQ.2V9

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.RCLJ

Entry Name: 24, North Road

Listing Date: 29 September 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195691

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369174

Location: Islington, London, N7

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Holloway

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Luke West Holloway

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highgate

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/06/2018

TQ3084NW
635-1/43/657

ISLINGTON
NORTH ROAD (South side)
No. 24

(Formerly listed as The Lion public house, NORTH ROAD)

29/09/72

GV
II
Former public house. 1855. By James Bunstone Bunning for the Corporation of the City of London. Yellow brick set in English bond, Portland stone dressings, roof of slate.

Four storeys over basement, four windows to North Road, five to the east, these being the principal facades. Rusticated stone quoins to corners; stone plinth, now painted. One flat-arched entrance in North Road, three to the east, one now blocked; flat-arched windows to ground floor flanked by slim engaged columns, the windows to the east forming, with the entrances, a continuous range across the whole front; fascia. The first floor windows are round-arched with architrave, cornice on consoles and panelled spandrels, those to the east being one pane deeper than those in North Road, probably in relation to a balcony, now missing; sill band to second-floor windows which are similarly detailed but with segmental pediments instead of cornices; third floor windows round-arched with bracketed sills, panelled spandrels and plain stepped pilasters running up into the plain frieze; dentil cornice; all windows have sashes of original design; two hipped roofs running north-south with panelled and corniced stacks, one to each ridge and two end stacks to south. The only surviving mid C19 features of the interior are the cornices with rosette and egg-and-dart ornament.

Listing NGR: TQ3001884841

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.