This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5303 / 51°31'49"N
Longitude: -0.1057 / 0°6'20"W
OS Eastings: 531495
OS Northings: 182964
OS Grid: TQ314829
Mapcode National: GBR N5.FM
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.3SZR
Entry Name: 383 to 399, St John Street and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195736
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369298
Location: Islington, London, EC1V
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell St Mark
Church of England Diocese: London
ST JOHN STREET (West side)
Nos. 383-399 (Odd) and attached railings
Nine terraced houses, some with ground-floor shops. On west side of slope of hill approaching Angel from the south. c.1820-1830; mid C19 shopfronts altered/reconstructed 1981. Possibly by William Chadwell Mylne, Surveyor for the New River Estate.
Yellow stock brick set in Flemish bond with stucco ground-floors lined as ashlar (Nos. 383-385), wooden (Nos. 391-397) or glazed-tile (No.399) shopfronts; roofs obscured, party-wall brick stacks. Side-hall entrance plan to Nos.383-389; Nos. 391-399 with ground-floor shop plan and domestic accommodation to upper floors. Three storeys, some with basement; two windows each except No. 399 (1 x 2 windows with returns in Chadwell Street). Gauged-brick flat arches (No. 399 architraved and first floors with bracketed cornices and rosettes) with 6/6 sashes to upper floors; First floor stucco sill band beneath full-length sashes with individual cast-iron balconies (except No. 399) with Gothic pattern railings. No.399 with stucco sill band to second floor. Some rebuilding to upper floors. Plain brick parapet with stone coping. On ground-floor, steps rise to round-arched entrance set in recess (Nos. 383-389): doorway to right and with 1/4 fluted column jambs except No. 383 (with reeded surround and plain corner blocks) carrying corniced-head, plain fanlight and original panelled door to Nos. 387-389. 6/6 and 2/2 ground-floor round-arched sashes (some with curved and radial glazing bars) set in panelled recess to Nos. 383-389. Nos. 383-389 with attached cast-iron railings. Nos. 391-399 altered/reconstructed shopfronts with house door giving access to upper floors to right except No. 399 (with panelled house door with patterned fanlight to right-hand return wall in Chadwell Street): ground-floors articulated by original bracketed pilasters, fascia and cornice with reconstructed shop windows and doors. No. 399 (J. R. Wall & Co. Butcher) (copper-coloured with blue detailing) tile shopfront composed of corner entrance with flanking shop windows all of original design: wood-grained and varnished windows with pivot transoms and marble sills; painted glass fascia with gold lettering to each elevation reading 'J. R. Wall & Co.'.
INTERIOR: No. 399: retains layout shown in a plan of 1928, including the separate wooden pay desk to the rear of shop; the marble counter tops, chrome fittings, probably also of this date.
History No. 399: used as a butcher's shop since first occupied in 1845. Until 1910 the shop was owned and operated by the Bland family. In 1910 the firm of Chalk and Cross took over and in 1928, as Chalk and Cox, commissioned J. Cannon and Son,builders, contractors and shopfitters of Stoke Newington, to make alterations. The extent of their alteration is uncertain, but theirs is primarily the shop as it exists today. The present family business, J. R. Wall and Company (Late Bland), has been there since 1940. Apparently the exterior tilework was replaced very sympathetically in 1981. Included for group value.
(Historians File, English Heritage, London Division: 1991).
Listing NGR: TQ3149582964
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings