This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5302 / 51°31'48"N
Longitude: -0.1064 / 0°6'23"W
OS Eastings: 531444
OS Northings: 182953
OS Grid: TQ314829
Mapcode National: GBR N5.7M
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.3SLT
Entry Name: Angel Baptist Church and Attached Iron Railings
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280178
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368694
Location: Islington, London, EC1R
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell St Mark
Church of England Diocese: London
CHADWELL STREET (South side)
Angel Baptist Church & attached iron railings
Formerly known as: Providence Chapel.
Formerly known as: Mount Zion Chapel.
Small non-conformist church. c.1823-24 for Thomas Elliott Esq, patron, for Calvanistic Methodists.
Red stock brick, stucco front facade; Welsh slate gabled roof. Classical style chapel of rectangular plan; forms part of contemporary terrace in Chadwell Street (q.v. Nos. 4-5 and Nos. 6-11). Two storeys; four-window range 1:2:1 plus two-window range to side walls. Projecting pedimented central bay. Round-arched 10/6 sashes with margin lights and curved and radial glazing bars set within arched recessed panels; centre sashes with moulded archivolts and impost strings. Central bay framed by plain pilaster strips and shallow pediment. Irregular ground-floor tetrastyle Ionic portico with deep entablature and flat roof; flanked by empty niches. Twin centre entrances with double panelled doors and plain rectangular overlights; central sash between entrances flanked by cast iron railings. Stucco cornice and blocking course; stucco parapet above pediment with urns to corners.
INTERIOR: plain classical treatment but much altered. Two-aisled plan with late C19 open timber roof and matchboarded ceiling; tie-beams supported on large, elaborate corbels. Plain painted plaster walls with C20 dado. Pulpit wall with central aedicule; dentiled pediment rises into first floor level supported by fluted pilasters and flanked on ground-floor by architraved C20 doors with original heavy entablatures and high broken pediments. Clerestory level with round-arched windows. 1884 high-level pine pulpit in debased Gothic style (shortened c1985) of crude post and rail construction with turned balusters, projecting front and flanking steps; Gothic-style oak lectern. Plain pine pews of same date and style as pulpit with main rows to centre, raking rows to sides. Steep, curved gallery to rear of chapel with plain panelled front, supported on slender cast iron columns and reached by flanking staircases to sides. C20 partition separates sanctuary from vestibule.
(Report prepared by Philip Temple for English Heritage: Islington Chapels: London: 1989-1989: 1-4/CHADWELL STREET).
Listing NGR: TQ3144482953
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings