This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9057 / 52°54'20"N
Longitude: -2.1473 / 2°8'50"W
OS Eastings: 390186
OS Northings: 334258
OS Grid: SJ901342
Mapcode National: GBR 15J.XK2
Mapcode Global: WHBDD.Z7M8
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 24 January 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385994
Location: Stone, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15
Civil Parish: Stone
Built-Up Area: Stone
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Stone Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ93SW GRANVILLE TERRACE, Stone
651-1/4/22 (North East side)
Church of St John
Congregational church, now Methodist/United Reformed church.
1870. By G.Bidlake; for J.Crossley of Halifax. Rock-faced
stone with ashlar dressings, some plastered brick; slate roof
with brick stack. Decorated Gothic style. Rectangular
structure with tower and rear vestry. Front has gabled centre
with flanking elements under hipped roofs; tower to left end.
Plinth, sill course and coped gable. Central entrance has
shafts and pointed tympanum, plain paired doors; similar
entrances to flanking elements. 5-light window with
Geometrical Decorated tracery, small lights to flanking
elements. 2-bay applied arcades flank entrance, with outer
lancets and inner incised panels, flanking offset buttresses;
right end is canted. 3-stage tower has traceried lancet to 2nd
stage; top stage has paired bell openings with trefoil heads
in square-headed recesses with colonnettes, pierced iron
screens; clock above has flanking traceried panels; top
cornice and broach spire. Left return of 5 bays, the 2nd
breaks forward under gable; offset buttresses and top parapet;
2-light segmental-pointed windows to lower level; 2-light
pointed windows to upper level, the hood moulds are sharper.
Vestry to left end has entrance in weathered projection with
oriel above, which has 2-light plate tracery window to left;
rounded angle and segmental-pointed entrance to return, most
of which, with rear, is plastered; brick stack. Right return
similar: no gabled bay but canted projection to left end.
INTERIOR: gallery on iron columns to all 4 sides has timber
front with arched panels and enriched iron detailing; large
pulpit has arcaded balustrade and communion rail; organ in
arched recess behind gallery; pews with arcaded fronts. A good
example of its type with well preserved interior. An important
landmark to the town.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
Listing NGR: SJ9018634258
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings