This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6619 / 51°39'42"N
Longitude: 0.3887 / 0°23'19"E
OS Eastings: 565305
OS Northings: 198604
OS Grid: TQ653986
Mapcode National: GBR NJW.P36
Mapcode Global: VHJKD.PHBB
Entry Name: Shelter Shed and Attached Byre 100 Metres North West of Ingatestone Hall
Listing Date: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197288
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373648
Location: Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood, Essex, CM4
Civil Parish: Ingatestone and Fryerning
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Ingatestone St Edmund and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING
TQ69NE HALL LANE, Ingatestone
723-1/7/365 (West side)
Shelter shed and attached byre 100 metres north-west of Ingatestone Hall
Shelter shed and attached byre. 2 walls of C16 origin, remainder, early /mid C19. Red brick in Flemish stretcher and Flemish bonds, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Aligned NW-SE, with shelter shed to NW, open to NE, and cowshed to SE, facing NE.
One storey. The shelter shed has 2 stanchions to the front;
the byre has 2 doorways, in one of which there is a C19 halved door, and two C20 casements. The NW gable end and part of the long SW wall is of ~16 brickwork in Flemish stretcher bond.
The NW gable end has 2 diaper patterns of flared blue headers; a third, symmetrically arranged, may have been lost when the lower W corner was repaired. C19 rectangular vent near apex of gable. The remainder of the SW wall, and the SE end wall and 2 partition windows, are of early/mid-C19 handmade bricks in Flemish bond.
INTERIOR: the SW wallplate of the shelter shed is of old oak, possibly original; the remainder of the roof structure is C19-, of clasped purlin construction. Cement-rendered troughs along full length of rear, of concrete blocks in shelter shed, probably of brick in cowshed. A plan of 1566 identifies this area as 'the mill house and garner', and as the granary is still present the surviving portions of the NW and SW walls may be part of a former horse-mill. A small single-storey buildlng with an entrance to the N, and a tiled roof, is shown in elevation here in a map of 1605 by the John Walkers, father and son.
(Essex County Council: Introduction to Ingatestone Hall: 1977-: 8).
Listing NGR: TQ6530598604
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings