History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon Hatch, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6702 / 51°40'12"N

Longitude: 0.2516 / 0°15'5"E

OS Eastings: 555801

OS Northings: 199223

OS Grid: TQ558992

Mapcode National: GBR VW.G39

Mapcode Global: VHHMW.98WZ

Entry Name: Germains

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Last Amended: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197312

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373713

Location: Kelvedon Hatch, Brentwood, Essex, CM14

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Kelvedon Hatch

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon Hatch St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text


723-1/5/433 (West side)
27/08/52 Germains
(Formerly Listed as:
Germains House)


House. Possibly C14, early C15, early C16, C17, C18, C20.
Timber-framed, roughcast rendered with some weatherboarding,
roof peg-tiled. H-plan, principal range and cross-wings E and
W. W cross-wing extends deeply at rear (to N).
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. S front elevation, all windows except one
are sashes with glazing bars, 3x4 panes. Frames are C18 with
some sashes renewed. Main range, ground floor, 3 windows and
C20 doorway to E end with flat hood on shaped brackets and
door, C19, 6 flush panels, upper 2 now glazed. Main range
first floor, 2 windows set over 2 outer ones below. Cross-wing
and gable ends each one ground floor and one first-floor
window. W wing inner E face has first-floor window. E wing
inner W face has ground floor C20 picture window. Rear, N,
elevation - main range has principal lateral stack flanked by
projecting cross-wings. Wing to E shows joints indicating
reduction (probably one bay). Wing to W has single-storey
extension to N with half hipped roof, peg-tiled. Windows C20
casements, irregular spacing. Central range - space between
stack and W wing, ground floor one narrow window with top
opening and single 2-light metal window of 4x3 panes. Above,
first floor, single 2-light casement. E cross-wing lower part
weatherboarded - C20 boarded door with decorative ironwork and
2-light casement alongside. First floor, single 3-light
casement. W cross-wing extension has lower part weatherboarded
and two C20 2-light windows also door with 4 panels, upper 2
glazed. W elevation of W cross-wing - catslide roof to
weatherboarded lean-to. Two 4-light casements, each side of
deep glazed unit. Also upper and lower C20 casements on
recessed wall to N. N extension, lower part weatherboarded and
two 2-light casements. E cross-wing, E face, central C18/19
exterior stack - to N weatherboard below and old pargeting of
plasterwork above in zigzag pattern.
INTERIOR: shows cross-wings differing in styles but both
medieval. W one, C15, of 4 bays, originally jettied to S
front. Massive joists, 0.23 x 0.15m (9 x 6 inches) flat laid,
centre tenon joints. 2 stair traps. First floor stout but
small braces to tie-beams, crown post roof, 2 way bracing, no
decoration, edge halved and bridled scarf joint in wall plate.
S gable tie-beam has internal hollow chamfer. E cross-wing
only 3 bays now left, elegant step stop chamfers on principal
framing and binding joists. Roof of clasped side purlin form,
curved with braces and elegant, solid arched braces fitted
against rafters and collars all to appear as one. Part of high
end display arched braces on face towards site of medieval
hall. Central range rebuilt in elm with face halved and bladed
scarfs and raised to 2 storeys with a large lateral fireplace
at rear of central room with bricks and mortar of C17 type
although exterior brickwork now all C18 with burnt headers and
tumbled shoulders. Roof of joggled, butted side purlin type -
heavy side purlins but common rafters of uniform scantling,
sooted and with many skewed side lap joints (no mortice and
tenons). These must be from an earlier medieval open hall on
site, perhaps as early as the C14. Hall provided with a
lateral fireplace in the C17 and raised either then or in the
C18 when the present window frames were fitted. E cross-wing
principal roof trusses have centre section cut out to leave
space to walk through. Some vertical members inserted to
stabilise cut trusses are sooted rafters from old hall. As
centre roof and cross-wings are at exactly the same level it
is most likely that the raising of the hall area to 2 storeys
did not occur until the C18 when all the work was done at one
time, enabling spare old sooted rafters to be used for various
jobs. Although no standing evidence of the medieval hall
survives, the high (E) and low (W) wings retain their original
status as solar and service. RCHM notes that the house has a
fragmentary moat. Morant traces the ownership from 1372 to
(RCHM: Central and SW Essex : Monument 3: 142; Morant P: The
History and Antiquities of the County of Essex: 1768-: 185).

Listing NGR: TQ5580199223

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.