History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bois Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Navestock, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6614 / 51°39'41"N

Longitude: 0.2486 / 0°14'54"E

OS Eastings: 555618

OS Northings: 198242

OS Grid: TQ556982

Mapcode National: GBR VW.TKR

Mapcode Global: VHHMW.8H8Q

Entry Name: Bois Hall

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Last Amended: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373768

Location: Navestock, Brentwood, Essex, CM14

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Navestock

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Navestock St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


723-1/5/488 (South side)
27/08/52 Bois Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
Bois Hall)


House. Late C17/early C18. Red brick, Flemish bond with
remains of tuck pointing, roof peg-tiled.
EXTERIOR: flat gauged brick arches over windows, moulded
cornice, plinth and string course. 2 storey and attics
concealed behind parapet. 1:3:1 window range, flush sashes
with glazing bars, 12 panes. Central range articulated with a
3-light first-floor window over a Tuscan pillared porch with
dentilled cornice. Door with 6 panels, upper 4 sunk, lower 2
flush. Screen walls with shaped coping project at each side.
Wall to left curved from house down to simple gateway with
square piers (C20 iron gate). Ends of screen walls terminate
in small red brick outbuildings with hipped tiled roofs and
dentilled eaves cornices (now used as garages). The house was
L-shaped but the rear SE range has been truncated and the back
of the house rebuilt in 1953 revealing a double gabled roof
and leaving 2 pilasters, one on each side at the point of
truncation. The NE elevation is of the same type as the facade
but a straight joint in the brickwork at the N corner suggests
2 building phases (successively replacing an earlier
structure?). The windows on the NE show replacement with
horned sashes and a C20 casement. The SW angle of the house
shows the junction of the 2 wings and in the internal angle a
large stack projecting externally is built at the rear of the
front block.
INTERIOR: much altered but one bedroom has C18 pine fielded
panelling with a dentilled cornice. Attic stair has
barleysugar banisters and moulded handrail c1700. The N front
once had 2 moulded rainwater heads with the arms and crests of
Greene and the date 1687 (RCHM) These have been removed and
replaced by plain ones in the course of extensive restoration
1974-9. The house is shown in a painting of 1636 in Essex
Record Office as a double cranked building with Dutch gabled
attics and mullioned and transomed windows. Old ruined garden
wall remains to SE of house but it is not possible to relate
this to the picture. At roof level the house is tied together
by many C20 steel rods which may indicate that it had been
rebuilt incorporating parts of an earlier structure.
(RCHM: Central and SW Essex : Monument 6: 193; The Buildings
of England: Pevsner N: Essex: 1965-: 304; Morant P: The
History and Antiquities of the County of Essex: 1768-: 183).

Listing NGR: TQ5561898242

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.