This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8736 / 50°52'24"N
Longitude: -2.9671 / 2°58'1"W
OS Eastings: 332047
OS Northings: 108676
OS Grid: ST320086
Mapcode National: GBR M7.T63R
Mapcode Global: FRA 46NS.RVK
Entry Name: Prospect House and Attached Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 24 May 1976
Last Amended: 13 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197438
English Heritage Legacy ID: 374062
Location: Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Chard Town
Built-Up Area: Chard
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Chard St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST3308 COMBE STREET
756-1/4/35 (West side)
24/05/76 Prospect House and attached walls
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Walls and railings to forecourt of
House. 1728, altered early C19 and c1860. Limestone rubble to
half basement; Flemish bond brick above and Ham Hill stone
doorcase and platband. Slate roof with crested ridge, brick
stacks and fretted bargeboards to gable ends. Double-depth
central-staircase plan with extensions to sides and rear.
2 storeys with half basement; symmetrical 3-window range plus
a small margin-pane sash to left extension with c1930 door
below. Both front extensions have lean-to roofs, that to the
right having no windows to the front. A long, wide flight of
steps to a 6-panel door in a Tuscan-style doorcase. All
windows have flat gauged brick arches, forward frames and late
C19 two/two-pane horned sashes. Two C18 rubblestone extensions
with pantile roofs to the rear were workshops.
INTERIOR: staircase, probably altered c1860, has bracketed
ends, stick balusters and plain newel. Ground-floor room to
front left has mid C19 black marble fireplace with cast-iron
arch plate register grate; back room left has large
rectangular fireplace with a stone lintel covered by mid C18
wooden surround with beaded edge to inside arris. There is a
small aperture through the fireplace wall to the left. Front
room right has black slate fire surround with painted marble
panels. 1st floor room to left has a mid C19 white marble
fireplace with cast-iron grate, and a cast-iron ceiling rose.
Late C16 reset panelled door to attic. Back room left has 2
large chamfered oak beams running from front to back; other
ground floor ceilings are C19 lath-and-plaster covering
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: coursed rubblestone wall with pointed
arch gate to the left and with 2 generous sweeps up to right
return. Cast-iron gate and railings to front on pattern of
vine leaves; gate has been lowered after repair.
Deeds state that the house was built in 1728.
Walls and railings to forecourt were listed on 29.07.76.
(Indenture for house: 1728-).
Listing NGR: ST3204708676
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings