This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1557 / 54°9'20"N
Longitude: -3.1802 / 3°10'48"W
OS Eastings: 323025
OS Northings: 473963
OS Grid: SD230739
Mapcode National: GBR 6N7D.91
Mapcode Global: WH72B.3TW1
Entry Name: Former Local Board Offices
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Last Amended: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218867
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388603
Location: Dalton Town with Newton, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA15
Civil Parish: Dalton Town with Newton
Built-Up Area: Dalton-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD2373 STATION ROAD, Dalton In Furness
708-1/11/209 (North East side)
06/05/76 Former Local Board Offices
(Formerly Listed as:
STATION ROAD, Dalton
Local board offices now community rooms and council office.
Dated 1884. By JY McIntosh. For Dalton Local Board
(engraving). Snecked limestone rubble with ashlar sandstone
dressings, graduated slate roof.
2 storeys, 1:1:3 bays; bay 1 taller and roofed as a crosswing.
Bay 2 is slightly recessed, ashlar faced and has main
entrance: panelled double doors with sidelights and 3-pane
overlight in moulded ashlar surround under frieze carved with
swags and scales of Justice; dentilled cornice. Large casement
over, the lintel with 'DALTON LOCAL BOARD/ anno don. 1884' in
raised lettering; miniature Flemish gable with niche.
Bay 3-5: tripartite windows with stone mullions and sashes
with glazing bars; vehicle entrance to bay 5 (now office) has
basket arch with raised keystone. Mid-floor cornice on corbel
table; 3 gables with blank shields, ashlar copings and ball
finials. Bay 1 projects and has 3 sashes with glazing bars
beneath stepped string course; large, council-chamber window
of 3 lights with stone mullions, transom, moulded surround and
iron casements with glazing bars under cornice.
Gable has plaque with crown; end dies with ball finials;
sections of pierced balustrade link to moulded copings with
obelisk finial. Corniced stack rises from parapet on left
return. Square clock tower with iron balustrade, louvres
beneath the clock faces and leaded ogee roof with weathervane.
Main roof has 2 corniced ridge stacks and end stack on right.
INTERIOR: lobby screen with floral stained glass; patterned,
tiled floor. Staircase with cast-iron balustrade, carved
wooden newel and mahogany handrail; stained-glass stair
window; coved ceiling.
Council chamber (Jubilee Hall): panelled dado, limestone
fireplace with incised Tudor-arched lintel, tiling includes 4
pictorial insets; marble plaque above has details of Dalton
Board. 4 arch-braced trusses, under-drawn at collar.
Contemporary fireplaces in other rooms.
Originally intended as a market hall and illustrated with
arcaded ground floor in Dalton News, 4.11.1882 (Walton 1984);
a photocopy of the same engraving (Cumbria Archives: Barrow)
bears the architect's name. The scheme revised to produce
offices and fire station as shown in original form in a
postcard of 1903 (Walton 1983). The archway gave access to
fire station outbuildings in yard to rear (listed separately,
(Walton J E: A History of Dalton-in-Furness: 1984-: 82; Local
History Photocopy File: Dalton in Furness; Walton J E: Dalton
in Furness in Old Picture Postcards: Netherlands: 1983-: PL
Listing NGR: SD2302573963
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings