History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Furness Abbey, Former Custodian's Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Roosecote, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.1348 / 54°8'5"N

Longitude: -3.1959 / 3°11'45"W

OS Eastings: 321958

OS Northings: 471652

OS Grid: SD219716

Mapcode National: GBR 6N3M.WK

Mapcode Global: WH72H.WB9K

Entry Name: Furness Abbey, Former Custodian's Cottage

Listing Date: 21 July 1993

Last Amended: 20 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197908

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388376

Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA13

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Town: Barrow-in-Furness

Electoral Ward/Division: Roosecote

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Barrow in Furness St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


708-1/4/280 Furness Abbey, former custodian's
21/07/93 cottage
(Formerly Listed as:
Former Custodian's Cottage)


Dwelling, the remnant of a larger, earlier building. Roof
timbers dendrochronologically dated to late C15; exterior
fabric extensively remodelled late C19. Coursed sandstone
rubble, some massive, with C19 dressings. Westmoreland slate
roof with single inserted ridge stack. 2-bay plan with C19 end
wall entry and substantially raised ground floor level.
North elevation a broad gable with central doorway beneath
shallow lintel. Flanking the doorway are C19 chamfered
mullioned windows, of 3 lights to the left, 2 lights to the
right. 2-light window above door. Side walls with blocked
mullioned windows at floor level, and small blocked lancets to
wall centres at eaves level. West side with two C19 openings,
south gable with 2 lean-to extensions.
INTERIOR mainly remodelled in C19, arches to blocked window
reveals in side walls are visible. Roof truss of heavy
scantling against north gable with cambered collar and tie
beam, apparently smoke-blackened as are the timbers of a
central open truss, the principal rafters of which are carried
on the ends of an interrupted tie beam with corbel supports
below. Double trenched purlins, ridge purlin replaced.
The building was formerly thought to have been a water-powered
mill; its significance lies in its roof carpentry which may be
some of the earliest surviving roof timbering of the Abbey

Listing NGR: SD2195871652

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.