This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7482 / 51°44'53"N
Longitude: -1.3989 / 1°23'56"W
OS Eastings: 441591
OS Northings: 205673
OS Grid: SP415056
Mapcode National: GBR 7XM.758
Mapcode Global: VHC09.PBS4
Entry Name: Harcourt House and Attached Walls and Outbuildings
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 17 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199690
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252402
Location: Stanton Harcourt, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Stanton Harcourt
Built-Up Area: Stanton Harcourt
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton Harcourt
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STANTON HARCOURT HARCOURT HOUSE
21/318 Harcourt House and attached
12/09/55 walls and outbuildings
(Formerly listed as Harcourt
House and outbuildings)
Gatehouse and stables of former manor house. C15 and mid C16, for Harcourt
family. Gatehouse in centre of front: c.1540, remodelled c.1868. Rendered over
limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof; end stacks of stone finished in C20
brick. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Label mould, with Harcourt arms to stops, over
hollow-chamfered central archway:. archway infilled in 1868 with arched doorway.
Mid C16 canted oriel window above, with hollow-chamfered stone mullions to
lights and Harcourt arms carved on base, is flanked by hood moulds over 3-light
hollow-chamfered stone-nullioned windows above similar mid C19 windows.
Extension to left of gatehouse built 1953. Extension to right of 1868
incorporates C15 stables in centre: of similar materials, with ridge stacks,
except stables of coursed limestone rubble; of 2-storey, 11-window range;
similar C16 three-light window above C15 segmental-headed archway with head
corbels to former stable, Rear: block of 1868 of similar materials and 2-storey,
2-window range with sashes and hipped roof. Interior: mid C16 moulded stone
fireplace and chamfered stone fireplace in gatehouse (roof not inspected). Mid
C19 staircase, fireplaces, and library to rear. Subsidiary features: C15 wall to
rear left, approximately 80 metres long; of coursed limestone rubble, with
crenellated parapet, between churchyard and house; hood moulds over 2 chamfered
arched doorways. Mid C18 wall, approximately 5 metres long and of coursed
limestone rubble with round-arched doorway, extends from rear of house to
outbuilding, of weatherboarding with hipped thatch roof; attached C18 cartshed
of limestone rubble with gabled stone slate roof and 8-bay collar-truss roof
with butt purlins and jowled posts; C15 limestone rubble wall, crenellated with
chamfered archway, extends approximately 10 metres from rear wall of cartshed.
History: the Harcourt family have lived here since the mid C12. After the death
of Sir Philip Harcourt in 1688 the house was left to fall into a ruinous state
and was mostly pulled down in 1750, when Nuneham Courtenay was begun. Harcourt
House became the family home again in 1948. A plan of 1726 shows that the stable
and gatehouse range stood to the north of the main building, which were grouped
around a courtyard, of which only the Great Kitchen, Pope's Tower, Manor
Farmhouse and dovecote (q.v.) remain.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.782; National Monuments Record; Bodleian
Library, M.S. Top, Oxon for late C18 and C18 drawings).
Listing NGR: SP4159105673
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings