History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

53, Galgate

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnard Castle, County Durham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5458 / 54°32'44"N

Longitude: -1.9219 / 1°55'18"W

OS Eastings: 405147

OS Northings: 516730

OS Grid: NZ051167

Mapcode National: GBR HH0W.P7

Mapcode Global: WHB4D.GZ0Z

Entry Name: 53, Galgate

Listing Date: 24 February 1950

Last Amended: 28 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201071

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388677

Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Barnard Castle

Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Barnard Castle

Listing Text


BARNARD CASTLE

NZ0516NW GALGATE
770-1/4/48 (South East side)
24/02/50 No.53
(Formerly Listed as:
GALGATE
(South side)
Nos.53, 55, 57, 59, 59A)

GV II

House, formerly part of larger complex. Mid C18. Rough render
with painted ashlar dressings; roof of thin stone slates with
stone ridge and rubble chimney. 2 builds: at left, 2 high
storeys; single-window range. At right, 2 lower storeys;
single-window range. Taller part has 6-panel door in painted
tooled stone surround under hood; to left of door an
oeil-de-boeuf in painted moulded stone surround. First-floor
sash with glazing bars with painted flat lintel and thin sill.
Lower part has ground floor with high central oeil-de-boeuf,
thin wood frame to boarded door with floating 3-pane overlight
at right and sash with glazing bars at left; first-floor
4-pane sash at left. Roof has tall stone chimney with flat
coping rising from centre of front slope of lower part, and
through eaves of hipped roof of taller part. INTERIOR: not
inspected.
The Grove, of which the taller build was part, was in 1760 the
home of William Hutchinson F.S.A. (1732-1814), historian of
County Durham.


Listing NGR: NZ0514716730

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.