This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.546 / 54°32'45"N
Longitude: -1.9216 / 1°55'17"W
OS Eastings: 405171
OS Northings: 516746
OS Grid: NZ051167
Mapcode National: GBR HH0W.S5
Mapcode Global: WHB4D.GZ6W
Entry Name: 57, Galgate
Listing Date: 24 February 1950
Last Amended: 28 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388681
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
770-1/4/53 (South East side)
(Formerly Listed as:
House, formerly part of larger complex and possibly part of
stable block. Said to be 1760. Painted rough render with
painted ashlar dressings; roof of synthetic tiles and Welsh
slate, with rendered chimneys. 2 storeys; 3-window range.
6-panel doors in plain stone surrounds between windows.
Central keyed round-arched stair window with imposts and
arched glazing bars. Small round window at right end in plain
stone surround; small 4-pane lights at eaves at left and right
ends with flat stone lintels and projecting stone sills. Roof
has central raised hipped roof rising from front slope, with
weather-vane finial. Left and near-right ridge chimneys.
INTERIOR: stone stair along front wall has 2 landings and
plain wrought-iron handrail and balusters. At first floor the
iron rail is set into newel of gallery balustrade with column
balusters and grip handrail of mid-late C18 type. Rear ground
floor has canted bay window to garden with raised fielded
HISTORY: this was part of the home of William Hutchinson,
historian of County Durham, in the C18. In the C20 it was the
home of CN Parkinson (of `Parkinson's Law') while he was art
master at Barnard Castle School.
Listing NGR: NZ0517116746
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings