This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4463 / 51°26'46"N
Longitude: -2.6202 / 2°37'12"W
OS Eastings: 356992
OS Northings: 172109
OS Grid: ST569721
Mapcode National: GBR C2N.FC
Mapcode Global: VH88M.JXN3
Plus Code: 9C3VC9WH+GW
Entry Name: A Bond Tobacco Warehouse
Listing Date: 3 May 1988
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202189
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379481
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Hotwells and Harbourside
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5672 CUMBERLAND ROAD, Floating Harbour
901-1/41/1294 (North side)
03/05/88 A Bond Tobacco Warehouse
(Formerly Listed as:
'A Bond' Tobacco Warehouse)
Bonded tobacco warehouse. 1905. Designed by the Docks
Committee engineer. Built by William Cowlin and Sons. Patent
red bricks, blue engineering bricks, Pennant stone steps,
terracotta details and Welsh slate roof; 'A' Bond has a frame
of steel stanchions on the lower 2 floors and iron on the
rest, carrying RSJs to segmental-arched concrete floor slabs.
Open plan, in 2 equal parts separated by central spine wall. 9
storeys; 18-window range. Ground floor in black brick with a
low plinth, the remainder in red, with strings at 3, 5, 7 and
9 storeys, cornice, of black moulded brick, and stone parapet.
Wide clasping pilasters, to a parapet with sunken panels; rear
elevation has a central bay between the pilasters.
Ground-floor front has round-arched doorways and windows: from
the outside, one door, 2 windows and 2 doors, either side of a
central door and flanking windows in the central projecting
block, with Pennant stone steps up; the paired flanking
doorways are shaded by a cantilevered steel canopy and have
sliding steel doors.
Upper-floor windows are almost square with terracotta cills
and pronounced, chamfered keys and chamfered, stopped jambs,
1:2:1 in central bay and equally spaced either side between
the unpierced pilasters. Top floor is roof-lit only.
INTERIOR: central entrance lobby to lateral staircase, giving
each side on to a 10x8 bay floor with central lift shaft.
Columns decrease in size to upper floors, carrying deep
primary and secondary beams, with haunched connections; some
floors with wood block flooring. Steel truss north light
HISTORICAL NOTE: 'A' Bond was the first of the 3 brick Bonds
in the Cumberland Basin.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 341; Lord J and Southam J: The
Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: 94).
Listing NGR: ST5699272109
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings