This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4577 / 51°27'27"N
Longitude: -2.6231 / 2°37'23"W
OS Eastings: 356806
OS Northings: 173377
OS Grid: ST568733
Mapcode National: GBR C1J.S9
Mapcode Global: VH88M.HM4C
Plus Code: 9C3VF95G+3Q
Entry Name: Litfield House and Attached Front Basement Balustrades
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202354
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379942
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5673SE LITFIELD PLACE, Clifton
901-1/7/879 (North side)
Litfield House and attached front
(Formerly Listed as:
LITFIELD PLACE, Clifton Down
House, now surgery. Dated 1830. Signed Charles Dyer. Limestone
ashlar with Pennant ashlar basement and rendered sides,
lateral stacks and slate hipped roof. Double-depth plan.
Neoclassical style. 3 storeys and basement; 5-window range.
A good symmetrical front has single-storey 1-window wings set
back; a moulded plat band beneath paired pilasters between the
windows with acanthus capitals, plain frieze, cornice and
parapet, set forward twice over the pilasters.
A large Pennant-flagged Greek Doric portico has an entablature
with triglyphs, metopes to cornice and parapet with a
balustraded centre and sides, signed to the right; narrow
3-pane windows flank a plain doorway with 2-leaf 6-panel doors
with heavy rings. Single tripartite ground-floor windows have
thin architraves to 6/6-pane and flanking 2/2-pane sashes;
architraves above, with console cornices and bowed stone
balconies with column balusters on the first floor, to
The wings have central sections set forward with full height
windows and architraves, blind balustrades in the parapet
above, 6/6-pane left-hand sash and C20 window to the right.
Tooled Pennant ashlar basement, with tripartite windows.
Returns have paired pilasters beneath 2 lateral stacks.
Rear elevation is a 3-window range separated by paired
pilasters above a plat band, the left third forming a shallow
bow; tripartite outer ground-floor windows, central 9/9-pane
stair sash, the rest have architraves to 6/6-pane sashes.
INTERIOR: flagged lobby with pedimented doorway to rear
central stair hall with cantilevered stone open-well stair,
with cast-iron wide, moulded balusters and foliate newel.
Ground-floor front right-hand room has a black marble fire
surround with paired pilasters, and distyle-in-antis scagliola
Ionic columns to the back, and doors to rear fully-panelled
room with eared fire surround; left-hand front room has fine
marble fire surround with Ionic columns and cast-iron fire
basket; good plaster ceilings with Greek Revival-style
mouldings, and arched recesses with coffered soffits in
left-hand end room. First-floor bathroom has sunken bath and
green marble panelling. Right-hand dogleg service stair has
cast-iron stick balusters, with good early C20 cast-iron range
in former basement kitchen.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front basement area balustrades.
An outstanding example of an 1830s villa, forming the start of
a fine collection of ashlar villas along Litfield Place,
including Nos 8 & 9 (qv), and The Promenade.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 267; Mowl T: To Build The Second
City: Bristol: 1991-: 142).
Listing NGR: ST5680673377
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings