This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4577 / 51°27'27"N
Longitude: -2.5985 / 2°35'54"W
OS Eastings: 358509
OS Northings: 173363
OS Grid: ST585733
Mapcode National: GBR C7J.89
Mapcode Global: VH88M.XM3C
Entry Name: Colstons Almshouses colston's Almshouses
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 24 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202546
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380472
Location: Bristol, BS2
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 5873 SE BRISTOL ST MICHAEL'S HILL
901-1/11/281 Colstons Almshouses
Almshouse. Dated 1691, restored 1861 and 1988. Limestone ashlar with ridge stacks, and pantile hipped roof. U-shaped plan with wings to sides of a courtyard. 2 storeys; 8-window range middle with 10-window wings. A symmetrical group with a pedimented central chapel broken forward, drip moulds to both floors and a stone eaves cornice.
Large central doorway has an eared architrave and 6-panel oak door, with a deep segmental canopy on foliate brackets, with a relief broken pediment with a pedestal Above is a moulded panel inscribed to EDWARD COLSTON with a broken pediment, oval keyed windows each side and a clock in the pediment tympanum. Doorways to the ends of the centre, and in the 3rd and 5th bays of the wings, with pitched canopies on brackets and 4-panel oak doors. Stone moulded cross windows with architraves to metal casements, with alternate pediments and segmental pediments along the string, and 2 segmental pediments to the end elevations. The rear elevation has projecting chapel with rose window and lower flanking windows with stained glass, and a good plank door to a flagged basement, with cross boarding to the inside. Stacks are diagonally-set with linked cornices. Central bell cupola with an ogee roof. Square section lead downpipes. INTERIOR: chapel, refurbished in late C17, has panelled timber pilasters flanking the entrance and in the corners of the E end, to a 3-bay barrel-vaulted timber roof, tall wainscotting rising behind the altar to a segmental pediment, with attached side benches and curved arm rests, and a single row of pews each side with desks. The houses have been extensively restored. Founded by the noted Bristol philanthropist merchant Edward Colston.
Listing NGR: ST5851873372
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings