This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4524 / 51°27'8"N
Longitude: -2.5897 / 2°35'22"W
OS Eastings: 359118
OS Northings: 172768
OS Grid: ST591727
Mapcode National: GBR C9L.76
Mapcode Global: VH88N.2R8F
Plus Code: 9C3VFC26+X4
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas Including Wall, Gates and Gateway
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202562
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380515
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: St Mary Redcliffe with Temple, Bristol and St John the Baptist, Bedminster
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5972 ST THOMAS STREET
901-1/42/287 (West side)
08/01/59 Church of St Thomas including wall,
gates and gateway
(Formerly Listed as:
ST THOMAS STREET
Church of St Thomas)
Church. C14 tower, nave rebuilt 1791-3 by James Allen. Bath
stone ashlar and render, roof not visible.
Aisled nave and NW tower. Neoclassical style with a
Perpendicular Gothic tower. Chancel gable on a high plinth,
with paired Ionic pilasters to an entablature broken by a
semicircular archivolt containing a spoked 6-light window,
enlarged from the original semicircular one in 1888. Above it
is a cherub on folded wings and swag, with panels on either
side, and in the pediment above.
Chapel either side, that to the S has an Ionic pediment and
pilasters around a recessed round-arched doorway, with a
panelled soffit to the arch. Rendered 6-bay N aisle of
semicircular-arched windows above a plat band, with a
gable-end parapet ramped up to the pediment at either end.
Similar S aisle, with a window in the W end. Pedimented W
gable, above a rendered porch with a semicircular-arched
doorway with imposts, a carved cherub key and a batswing
fanlight and a cornice, and a window with plain impost and key
3-stage tower: tall, 3-light W window, and similar 2-light
windows to the second stage and the belfry; clasping pilasters
with buttresses, panelled at the belfry with ogee heads and
pinnacles below the parapet; an octagonal stair turret on the
SW corner, ending with a spirelet with paired blind trefoil
panels and a crocketed top; an open parapet, with crocketed
pinnacles inside the corners.
INTERIOR: being repaired after a fire at the time of survey.
Reported to include a nave of 5 bays on square columns with a
tunnel vault, and a good W gallery on Roman Doric columns;
fine tripartite reredos of 1716 with Corinthian columns.
FITTINGS: font by Wood, with a Greek cross plan and shallow
fluted bowl, converted to a lectern.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: between the tower and the S aisle is a
curved, ramped wall with square, chamfered piers and
wrought-iron gates, and to the N of the chancel is a
round-arched gateway and gate.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the original fine late Gothic church was
demolished in 1791; the tower was intended to be modernised to
Allen's design, but the work was never carried out.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 185; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 84; The Buildings of England: Pevsner
N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 410).
Listing NGR: ST5911872768
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings