History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Vincent's Works Factory

A Grade II Listed Building in Bristol, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4505 / 51°27'1"N

Longitude: -2.5726 / 2°34'21"W

OS Eastings: 360303

OS Northings: 172540

OS Grid: ST603725

Mapcode National: GBR CFL.2W

Mapcode Global: VH88N.CS9Y

Entry Name: St Vincent's Works Factory

Listing Date: 4 March 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202565

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380526

Location: Bristol, BS2

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Lawrence Hill

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Philip and St Jacob with Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST6072 SILVERTHORNE LANE, St Philip
901-1/43/1925 (South side)
04/03/77 St Vincent's Works Factory

GV II

Pair of attached factory sheds. 1891. Possibly by TR Lysaght.
For J Lysaght. Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and
corrugated asbestos roof. Open plan rectangular sheds.
Romanesque Revival style. Each has 3 storey end gables;
6-window range.
Parallel sheds, the NW gable obscured by St Vincent's office
(qv): gables have broad pilasters to the sides and centre,
blind ground floor, and windows in recessed panels with
corbel-tables at the top; weathered sill bands below
semicircular-arched windows with glazing bars and linked
hoodmoulds, in groups of 3 either side of the central
pilaster, and falling in height in the second-storey parallel
to the roof. Part of a large Pennant arched entrance to the
left of centre. Silverthorne Road elevation has broad
pilasters separating groups of 3 arched windows as the front.
INTERIOR: Bath stone pillars.
HISTORICAL NOTE: TR Lysaght was briefly a partner of WB
Gingell, and the sheds share some of Gingell's arcuated
industrial style. Originally a galvanising works with a
timber-framed roof and massive Bath stone piers with hollow
lead-lined cores to protect against the sulphuric acid in the
atmosphere.
(Jones E: Industrial Architecture in Britain: London: 1985-:
129; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 379).


Listing NGR: ST6030372540

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.