History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Vincent's Works and Attached Front Area Railings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4504 / 51°27'1"N

Longitude: -2.5731 / 2°34'23"W

OS Eastings: 360270

OS Northings: 172536

OS Grid: ST602725

Mapcode National: GBR CDL.ZX

Mapcode Global: VH88N.CS1Z

Entry Name: St Vincent's Works and Attached Front Area Railings

Listing Date: 4 March 1977

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282118

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380525

Location: Bristol, BS2

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Lawrence Hill

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Philip and St Jacob with Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


901-1/43/1924 (South East side)
04/03/77 St Vincent's Works and attached
front area railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Office block at St Vincent's Works


Offices. c1891. By TR Lysaght, possibly completed by RM Drake.
For John Lysaght. Limestone ashlar, Pennant rubble with
limestone dressings, rock-faced red sandstone, ashlar lateral
stacks, a slate hipped roof with lanterns, and copper-clad
An oblique L-shaped site with the entrance in the splayed
corner, double-depth plan. Ruritanian castellated Gothic
Revival style. 2 storeys and attic; 12-window range.
Entrance set in a rectangular ground-floor panel between
turrets, with a battered sandstone plinth and banded
rustication below an impost band; semicircular-arched doorway
and narrow linked sidelights with incised voussoirs, has
3-panel 2-leaf doors and a wrought-iron foliate grille to a
plate-glass fanlight; machicolation across top of panel
beneath a bowed band with Moorish foliate carving, and 2
semicircular-arched first-floor windows with plate-glass
Flanking octagonal turrets have broach bases, and narrow
leaded windows with rope-moulded hoods; becoming round above
the first floor with a moulding, and linked by a machicolated
attic storey with 4 arrow slits and a stepped crenellated
parapet; the tops of the turrets have corbel-tables and rope
mouldings, crenellated parapets and conical copper roofs.
Flanking 3-window wings, extended to 5 windows on the right,
have paired plate-glass sashes in narrow semicircular-arched
recesses with rope-moulded hoods, linked by first-floor sill
and impost bands, with a corbel-table above and a parapet with
cross arrow slits; ground-floor windows have a central
mullion, palmette capitals and rope-moulded lintels, and
similar semicircular-arched first-floor windows. To either end
is a buttress below a first-floor scrolled bracket against the
wall, and crenellated bartizans with fish-scale domed tops. To
the rear is the drawing office with 2 fully-glazed sides of
6/9-pane sashes.
INTERIOR: very good and complete Doulting tiled entrance
lobby, octagonal top-lit hall and open-well stair, with cream
and yellow moulded and patterned tiles, red and grey panels
and spandrels, and green tiles under the dado.
Small lobby has half-glazed doors with bevelled glass; a
semicircular-arched arcade around the hall and first-floor
stair well, with putti to lintels, stained-glass fanlights and
5-panelled doors with brass finger plates; moulded dados and
archivolts, mosaic floor, wrought-iron balustrade to
first-floor gallery, and stained-glass ceiling lights; slate
open-well stair with smooth soffit, wrought-iron balustrade
and rails with carved beasts at the ends.
Offices have walnut panelled walls and wainscots, pedimented
doorcases with fluted pilasters, and a panelled niche with a
statue of Eros. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: good wrought-iron area
railings on dwarf sandstone walls in front of the wings.
HISTORICAL NOTE: An outstanding example of late C19 factory
architecture. Lysaght took over Acraman and Company's works
and site, for iron galvanising. His brother, TR Lysaght, died
before the building was completed, and the drawings are signed
by Drake. The company subsequently played an important role in
the development of colonial vernacular architecture, as
manufacturers, at its Netham site, of corrugated-iron and
pre-fabricated buildings.
(The Lysaght Century (1857-1957): Bristol: 1957-: 22-23; Gomme
A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History:
Bristol: 1979-: 379; Lysaght T R: CEBG: Bristol: 1891-; Jones
E: Industrial Architecture in Britain: London: 1985-: 129).

Listing NGR: ST6027072536

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.